Thursday, 31 July 2025

The Uncertainty Of The Poet

Sometimes it feels like I am half

A milky white sculpture 

My bones and torso strong

But not quite yet defined or finished

I am spilling over onto the page

Enjoying the taste of words

On my flower-bound lips

Blooming and growing

With every line of syntax 

Where my body fails me

My words seem to flow onto paper

Often with surprise

Always with silent pleasure 

Perhaps I am uncertain as a person

Rather than a poet - although that is growing too

My words seem far too small

To name as verse but

I will rebuild my torso - my unfinished body

And gather words like glowing gems

Perhaps in turn this becomes poetry 

But no matter, it is all just part of a journey waiting to be enjoyed.


For Dverse

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your response to the uncertainty of the poet, Jae, and I identify with the metaphor; I too sometimes feel ‘like I am half a milky white sculpture’ and I know that feeling of ‘spilling over onto the page’. We poets delight in the taste of words, ‘often with surprise’. These lines made me happy:
    ‘I will rebuild my torso - my unfinished body
    And gather words like glowing gems’.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can identify with the half defined and half finished. But love the last four lines, starting with: I will rebuild my torso. That is a journey waiting to be enjoyed. Thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this poem.

    "My bones and torso strong
    But not quite yet defined or finished
    I am spilling over onto the page
    Enjoying the taste of words"

    And then gathering them. It's what we do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'words like glowing gems' – oh yes! And I like to think of the 'journey waiting to be enjoyed'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you used the image, Jae. Especially in your opening lines and "Where my body fails me
    My words seem to flow onto paper"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the poet's voice is our true self, sometimes seeming to understand things we dont consciously know that we know. Sometimes my poems surprise me too. Especially when i look back and see that subconsciously I knew what my waking self did not yet understand. If that makes sense. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for letting us tag along for the journey. Your words, gems, glow with an inner light that never fails to impress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The line that hit for me is "My words seem far too small". I think I might roll with that sometime.

    ReplyDelete