Tuesday, 23 January 2018

Weapon

We crush the deadly leaves into a smooth paste
Swallow it down with water and time
It sticks in our throat
Like needles piercing our skin
We will not let it in
Each pore a barrier
Each taste a slip away
A weapon of choice
We dance the night away
Smooth movements
A war to wage
A battle to win
We crush the deadly leaves into a smooth paste
Swallow it down with water and time
The best and only weapon we have amidst this world.

24 comments:

  1. "swallow it down with water and time." It is sad when life is so hard one needs a weapon to survive. Take good care, my friend. Hey, check my blog - tsunami alert last night - Sebastian's first night. I had told him we'd have adventures but didnt expect so soon lol. I was on the BC news tonight, interviewed this morning by the news crew. Looking like a madwoman with rain soaked hair. Oh well. At least still alive. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I will take a look..am glad you are having adventures already. Thanks Sherry

      Delete
    2. Sorry to intrude, but we had the same warning. Something to think about for sure. I'd love to see you on the news!

      Delete
  2. We seem to either be at war and positioned in defense. Powerful poem

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need the weapon in whatever form to win the battle of life. Well put Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O for a world where no weapons are necessary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a good thing - thanks Magical

      Delete
  5. I love that my first thought upon reading the opening few words is that you (and your other) have a crush on dead(ly) leaves. :)

    Oh, how I love this line: "Swallow it down with water and time"

    I like the end-line rhyme here:
    "Like needles piercing our skin
    We will not let it in"

    I find so much wisdom in the last line: Swallowing is the only weapon. Swallowing poison (killing the self, or part of it, whether a literal suicide or an emotional/mental suicide), swallowing feelings (not expressing them or letting them rule you), or swallowing, ahem (in a sexual way). Sometimes the latter IS the best weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We only harm ourselves. Safer that way. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This poem read to me as a metaphor for some internal battle. I liked the dichotomy between war and "smooth movements."

    ReplyDelete
  8. A deep and powerful poem Jae.
    I really do understand your closing line.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many of us have this battle. We can always hope for peace and time doesn't always help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The whole of life is a battle against the myriad of killers around us. How well your poetry has developed over the years Jae so keep on battling the enemy and entertain your readers with your unique wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Old Egg for being there over the years

      Delete
  11. I agree with all the previous comments about the line 'Swallow it down with water and time', Jae. The internal battle is often the hardest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Powerful repeating the first line

    ReplyDelete
  13. Struggles and battles that we all deal with in this life Jae. Powerful, raw, and true is your writing and I love it!

    ReplyDelete