The frost whispers a glittering welcome
We hang a wreath on the door
A plethora of leaves and berries
A wind chime breathing in the cool night air
A song to groove and soothe
Underneath the sound is a deep void
An emptiness that cannot be shaken
A final rejection
One last dance
None of which is true
We hibernate
Lie still
Under the spell of the void
Deep in the cave of our design
Like a sponge we falter
Seduced by the vinyl mirage
The frost whispers a glittering welcome
We open the door to greet it.
Your words in this piece are eerily enticing just as the frost and its welcome you mention yet despite the danger you open the door to greet it. I need chapter 2 please to see what happens! Loved it.
ReplyDeleteChapter two will come to those who wait so patiently - thank you kindly Old Egg
DeleteThe frost's glittering welcome, the wreath on the door - what a beautiful scene this is! I can almost hear the tinkle of the wind chime, and the song. I love "the cave of our design". I have a cave of my own, too. Loved this one, Jae. Yes, I would like to hear who is at the door!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you so Sherry - I hope someone good is waiting behind that door too xo
DeleteGlittering indeed, Jae!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kim!
Delete"None of which is true" – knowledge to hang on to.
ReplyDeleteThanks Rosemary
DeleteThe ghost you're singing a duet with is too insubstantial to recognize ... but then that's how it goes, especially in winter. Sylvia Plath went down this way. Thanks for joining in the challenge.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the comparison Brendan
DeleteI can literally hear the wind chime breathing in the cool night air through your words. Beautifully done, Jae!💞
ReplyDeleteThank you Sanaa 💙
DeleteLovely imagery though the wind chime part made me think of my mother's complaining about the neighbor's wind chimes keeping her awake all night. But that's just me....
ReplyDeleteBeautiful.
Thanks for making me smile!
DeleteA wind chime breathing in the cool night air
ReplyDeleteAn emptiness that cannot be shaken
- wow, those are such bleak images...wonderfully written.
Thank you Thotpurge
DeleteAh - opening the door is indeed key, welcoming whatever is on the other side.
ReplyDeleteThank you Mary - we will welcome what comes
DeleteI can feel the ghost walking in your footsteps... an open door is the only way
ReplyDeleteThank you Bjorn
DeleteLove this one!!!! You describe my morning, Taos, New Mexico, snow at last.
ReplyDeleteThank you Annell - enjoy the snow xo
DeleteLyrical and filled with beautiful images. Nice one!
ReplyDeleteThanks Rall!
DeleteBravo!
ReplyDeleteZQ
Thanks ZQ
DeleteThis is beautiful writing, J!
ReplyDeleteI have not ventured into the online world of poetry for a very long time. I am so glad I did today, to read this, and to hear your healing voice. Brilliant!
Thanks so much Kim - very good to see you
DeleteI love wind chimes! Your poem reads like the chimes ringing out. It can be a sad sound.
ReplyDeleteIt can be sad though in your hands it turns to happy! Thanks Bekkie
DeleteLike a sponge we falter
ReplyDeleteSeduced by the vinyl mirage
The frost whispers a glittering welcome
We open the door to greet it.
Frost can be expected to be welcomed at times. Cool weather provides the cover to the drastic heat on certain days. Wonderful take Jae!
Hank
Thanks very much Hank
Delete'The frost whispers a glittering welcome' ~ sigh ~ what a lovely, delicate line to bookend this mesmerizing piece.
ReplyDeleteThank you Wendy
DeleteThis poem is entrancing.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dan
DeleteSuch a sweet treat enticing and layered
ReplyDeleteLuvved lt
much💝love
Thanks Gillena :-)
DeleteMy comment seems lost. Boohoo! I talked about how that void is real. I asked which is better protection from it--the social niceties or hibernation. I love the walk out into the welcoming frost.
ReplyDeleteThank you Susan - and for coming back! I think hibernation gets my vote!
Deletesomehow, i am imagining soldiers in the trenches of WW1, waiting for a final charge.
ReplyDeletei know this is weird but this is the power of words. :)
Thanks ds :-)
DeleteAs always, your poem made me stop and think first about the lovely scene you describe and the serenity it invokes. Then, about life and that void, which is up to us to fill or leave empty. As always, I thoroughly enjoyed reading and thinking about this.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your insights Myrna
DeleteEnjoyed this so much, opening the door seems to be the key,,,
ReplyDeleteThanks Linda
DeleteImaginative uses of the tricky words.
ReplyDeleteThank you Colonialist
Delete'Deep in the cave of our design' - I love the image I see in those words. Glad to see that door is being opened.
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Sara
Delete