Wednesday, 3 January 2018

Door

We scramble towards the door
A tangle of hair and stolen dreams
Hatter waves a rainbow
All we wish for is sleep
The Windows rattle
Like bones in a tin
We cannot enter
We cannot go in
The door is falling off its hinges
We prop it open with bottles
Wish for powder
Ache for dreams
We scramble in
We fall all out.

27 comments:

  1. "Ache for dreams"...This is So Very haunting. Hatter in your poems is now becoming an interesting character, we are keen about what he's up to.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. windows rattle like bones in a tin.. goodness that is terrifying! great imagery Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "scramble" is so necessary despite the fall, despite the unrequited desires. The Door still represents hope. Thank you for the tension here--the discouragement balanced by trying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your words, scramble, tangle, stolen, waves, and sleep, certainly set the mood. You speak of dreams and we wonder, is it all a dream, night time or day dream, take your pick...in some ways so delightful, and in other's, it almost seems to allude to nightmares? We you say, "We fall all out." I am thinking of dumping the trash, throwing the baby out with the bath water? I like the way you proped up the door with bottles....what else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of things lurk behind the door I think - thank you Annell

      Delete
  5. There are doors we just can't bring ourselves to go through. They don't always shut sometimes they call to us until they are forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always scrambling for the door...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes maybe that's a good thing. Thanks Rob

      Delete
  7. "We...ache for dreams." Yes, haunting. That door sounds all askew and yet "we cant go in." It is very Alice in Wonderland-ish to me, too, and is why I love your work so much. Happy New Year, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And happy new year to you too. Thank you kindly Sherry

      Delete
  8. Scrambled eggs and Hatters - Love it, Jae!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the movement and sound in this poem, Jae.
    I can imagine sleepless girls in 'A tangle of hair and stolen dreams' and Hatter waving a rainbow. Surreal and dreamlike.

    ReplyDelete
  10. May the dreams arrive, and be sweet.

    Perhaps it is wise to try and see what is beyond any door before scrambling through? (Interesting: I tend to think of doors as leading out rather than in. But I guess both can be necessary, depending on the circumstances.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a good look is the wisest move. Thank you very much Rosemary

      Delete
  11. Glad to see you back in wonderland Jae. Life is so much like that when we reflect on what has happened to us. We just have to accept that is how it is and enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pace and energy in your words Jae.
    'The Windows rattle
    Like bones in a tin
    - wonderfully descriptive!
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  13. An evocative menagerie of images! Great write!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interestingly worded.I liked it.

    ReplyDelete