We touch each others cold hands in the middle of the night
Stars like wistful children playing under the moon
It's just a game she squeals
I hear her speak
Just like you
The same thoughts go round and round
Like gravity
We all fall down
She takes a grain of salt
Throws it over her right shoulder
We are home I think
She leans into me
Her breath is gentle
Like a slow train gurgling through the shade
No time for superstitions
We are chicken shit
January sane
I will take a figure
Measure things out
She will be there
Of course
And eventually all will be well
I watch her face
It is calm and still
Asleep in the cold touch of night.
This beautifully written Jae. What a captivating and descriptive piece this is with that undercurrent of sadness running through it.
ReplyDeleteThank you Old Egg
DeleteSO beautiful! I love "Stars like wistful children playing under the moon." Wow! Love "We are home, I think" and "January sane." I love your voice in this one, Jae. Lovely writing.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Sherry
DeleteA gentle poem that touches the soul, Jae. I especially love:
ReplyDelete'Stars like wistful children playing under the moon'
and
'Like a slow train gurgling through the shade'.
Thank you very much Kim
Delete'Stars like wistful children playing under the moon'.. this is so beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThank you Sanaa
DeleteWhat an interesting phrase January sane is! I don't know if it was your intention, put that pairing brings up in my mind the soberness and lack of celebration in January, so necessary after the excesses in November and December where I live.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your insight Rommy
Deletesalt over the shoulder was a nice touch too - getting rid of demons is half the battle and Janus looks forward to sanity and back....
ReplyDeleteThanks for spotting the salt - thanks telltale
DeleteYes, we have to hope (in every situation) that all will be well, that someone /something will be there for us, that the thoughts that go round and round will eventually lead somewhere special, that when we fall asleep all will be calm and still!
ReplyDeleteA good wish - thank you Mary
DeleteSo many untoward things going on in this poem, and yet, as the speaker says, "Eventually all will be well." I take comfort in that note of hope, even as the storms rage!
ReplyDeleteThank you Magical
DeleteSalt over the left shoulder to reverse bad luck and eventually everything will turn out alright. I like the hope, we always need hope.
ReplyDeleteThat we do - thank you kindly Truedessa
Deletea gentle voice, with a dash of quiet optimism. love it! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks ds :)
DeleteThis is certainly one of favorites!!! All are wonderful, but this is especially so. xoxo
ReplyDeleteThank you Annell xo
DeleteThere is some comfort in facing gravity together... but still we fall
ReplyDeleteSadly so - thank you Bjorn
DeleteJanuary sane ... what fun words to consider! Good write
ReplyDeleteThank you Bev
DeleteThis one is comforting in so many ways. Glad to be back, have missed you.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
Thanks Elizabeth and good to see you back too :)
DeleteLuv the slow pace of this poem edged with the caution of superstition. A little salt over the right shoulder.
ReplyDeleteThanks forbdropping by My Sunday Standard today
Much💝love
Thanks Gillena
DeleteThis feels so comforting--just a beautiful write!
ReplyDeleteThank you Audrey
DeleteI particularly love the same lines Kim picked, and the calm towards the close.
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Rosemary
DeleteBeautifully written ... there is a delicacy to the piece that imbues it with a wistful sadness, in places, that is somewhat discordant with the ideal of 'home' ... but, that is, of course, often closer to the reality of it.
ReplyDeleteHome is indeed conflicted thank you Wendy
DeleteThat has a lovely hopeful, optimistic feel to it. But, perversely considering what I just wrote, I do like "We are chicken shit". I says so much.
ReplyDeleteThanks J Cosmo - I wasn't sure about that line glad you liked it!
DeleteIntriguing Jae and I too am struck with 'January sane'. I see sadness too, but it appears your friend keeps you feeling safe - and that is good.
ReplyDeleteAnna :o]
Thanks very much Anna :)
DeleteNothing brings on the sanity as a January for of cold and harshness.
ReplyDeleteThanks Magaly 💙
DeleteMeasured out, that all will be well. I like that idea.
ReplyDeleteThanks colonialist
DeleteIt is calm and still
ReplyDeleteAsleep in the cold touch of night.
A baby falling asleep is such an reassuring phenomena!
Hank
Thanks Hank
Delete