We breathe in the air
It is a new game
Try not to breathe
Hide the carrier bag
Tuck the laces in our shoes
We are our own invention
Wishing for tomorrow
Hating the day
Longing for night
Rest
Blisters aching
Nothing is right
We can't feel
Numb
Mute
Distanced
The stolen man walks on broken glass
I wait to see him
He hides in the shadows
I wish he would cast a light on me
It's all about growing and becoming
Words are not enough
We would re-invent our thinking to see him
Please state your name and number
I will breathe in the air and stop the clock.
To invent oneself is a large task, but I wouldn't trust it to anyone else--not the stolen man, no God without kind-ness. Your last line took my heart.
ReplyDeleteI like the idea “we are our own invention” Upside down or not, here we are. You area unique poet in any moment :-)
ReplyDeleteThis is so sad Jae, particularly "Hating the day, Longing for night", so that you can turn off and hide in the shadows much like the stolen man!
ReplyDelete"It's all about growing and becoming' or re-inventing...It is. I can feel the ache. sigh.
ReplyDeleteWe are our own invention.. every moment reinvented!
ReplyDeleteMy goodness this is beautiful!!💞
ReplyDeleteI also was struck by the last line... definitely a connection for me
ReplyDeleteInventing and re-inventing one's self is one of life's most difficult task, but as the poem says: "It's all about growing and becoming."
ReplyDelete"We would re-invent our thinking to see him." I too, have felt that way spending time wishing for tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteI love "we are our own invention wishing for tomorrow." The stolen man walking on broken glass is an amazing image. Hold onto being your own invention, my friend. You are a wonder!
ReplyDeleteHating the day
ReplyDeleteLonging for night
I like these lines...they are the heart of this poem...for me.
As someone said- ' I was trapped because life happened — it rings so true!But then...."It's all about growing and becoming"- Wonderful piece, Jae. Thanks for sharing...
ReplyDeleteOnce again a poem full of stunning imagery and heart-rending stuff.
ReplyDeleteYou are an amazing poet Jae. The man walking on broken glass is an incredible image but the last line...oh that line stole my heart.
ReplyDeleteThe stolen man walks on broken glass
ReplyDeleteI wait to see him ....
sudden interjection and wow - what placement - it is at the heart of the poem, and is truly of exceptional form, in this really great piece.
Great images here as usual. I was especially struck by the line "we are our own invention" because I believe that so firmly. It takes a lot of work, but invention is about change and it can happen.
ReplyDeleteI love the way you've explored the idea of invention, Jae. It's as if that is all the people in your poem do - just by breathing or not breathing. 'We are our own invention / wishing for tomorrow' - it's another form of self-preservation. I'm intrigued by the 'stolen man' who walks on broken glass and why
ReplyDelete'We would re-invent our thinking to see him'.