We wash our face
Nothing calms the unswayed spite
We must confess
Undress
Check
Inject
It is a torrid tale
We traverse the channel with sand in our shoes
Spend so much time in the sect of our head
People can be calm and gracious
Or scare the shit out of us
We are both
Like husband and wife
Separated
Alone
Unaligned
Nothing makes things better
We dream of home
We want to be treated gently
But rough arms grab us
Pull us under
It hardly seems fair
They say it is for our health
We disagree
Cry silent tears and wait.
Nothing makes things better
ReplyDeleteWe dream of home
We want to be treated gently
These lines resonated for me today, Jae.
Gosh this is heartbreaking, Jae :(
ReplyDeleteah home, sanctuary, a vision to hold to
ReplyDeletemuch love...
I disagree too! Horrified at the "rough arms". Surely being treated gently is a right?
ReplyDeleteI don't like that "rough arms grab us, and pull us under." No, this cannot be! It sounds like a bad dream!
ReplyDeleteIt is harsh, when gentleness is needed, and one is treated roughly. Grrrrrr. Mother Wolf is growling and snapping her teeth.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure what the situation is here...but I feel for this couple and fear for their fate. I good write!
ReplyDeleteI'm assuming the "rough arms" is a metaphor for society...
ReplyDeleteI like the way your poem starts with statements of action, Jae. In this one, the everyday action of 'We wash our face' develops into an ode to anxiety and despair. I also like the rhymes and oxymoron to convey unease in 'We must confess / Undress' and 'gracious / shit out of us', and the half-rhyme in 'Check /Inject'.
ReplyDeleteA poem of despair.
Nursing staff should not have opinions but instead be gentle, caring people there to assist a patient to health. Sadly I too have experienced careless, cruel treatment as the nurses hadn't told the doctor of a problem. I do hope you are home soon Jae.
ReplyDeleteGood Sunday Jae
ReplyDeletemuch love...
this is kind of sad. more care & compassion should be shown.
ReplyDeletePeople should always be treated with dignity! And, yes, home is the place we all yearn to be.
ReplyDeleteLife can be difficult and sometimes we need a gentle touch, to know that someone out there cares. I too disagree, compassion goes a long way, "handle with care"
ReplyDeleteDreaming of home, hold on to that dream...
"People can be calm and gracious
ReplyDeleteOr scare the shit out of us"
I liked the contrast here fits well with the message too. From graceful to blunt as shit.
Comment from Matt Johnson ( https://silverbackgorillapoetry.com/ )
Oh, my, don't want this for my health. :) Happy Sunday to you!
ReplyDeleteSome relationships are definitely not healthy....
ReplyDeleteThere is no place like home. We should always be treated with dignity. In the end that is what matters.
ReplyDeleteExcellent Jae Rose...
ReplyDeleteSo sad. I have found that a lot of cruelty comes out of people exercising draconian interference in the lives of others, in the belief that such actions were for 'the good' of their victim(s).
ReplyDeleteLike husband and wife
ReplyDeleteSeparated
Alone
Unaligned... powerful imagery...