Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Young


The old man picks his way over the gravel
Bare foot
This ‘aint no fucking beach gramps
I walk over the bridge
Dreaming of Patti Smith
(whoever she is)
I ‘aint so fucking young
My head sinks
Down into the glass
There it is
The real voice
I would be young
If
I walked
Bare foot
Over the gravel
Whistled
I’m not so young
Not since the powder gouged my flesh
Stopped the blood
Flying up to my head
Stopped life
My life
Thursday is pie bonanza day
I take a bite
Hush the voice
That sears every thought
Sign my name
In that place
The one
You know
It is not quite my name
Not quite my confession
Sacred oranges too good to eat
Pink coat iconic
Tangled up in colours
Like a novice
Skipping rope
I choke
Throw away Vincent’s boots
In the black bag
With everything else
That doesn’t fit
Gone
In the bin
But not gone
I keep my shoes
Think how I may whistle too
If I let the gravel
Burn and Blush my toes. 

19 comments:

  1. Yes, sometimes one has to throw away things in life that don't fit. Hard to do that sometime though. I know I can seldom take that step! Maybe I will start today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not such a bad idea to sometimes go without shoes just to feel what the world is like without that protecting layer between you and the things that might (or might not) hurt. Maybe you'll find something delightful. And you can always carry the shoes with you, in case the ground proves too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As ever, you leave my mind numb.. excellent write...gives me some ideas.. hopefully to implement and enloy..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mary..i use the two step approach - bin bag by the door for a couple of nights and then a trip to the bins when you don't notice the gaps any more.. ;)

    Thank you Ann..very wise..i guess just socks would be half-arsed..maybe tomorrow..thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ramesh - i am wondering what ideas now..would love to know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sometimes feeling the earth or stones beneath your feet can make you feel alive. As for discarding things if they don't fit it helps to get rid of them and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is nice way to express mindfull wandering--boots or no boots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Much nicer to walk barefoot on sand or lush grass than on gravel. Ouch! Poor man.
    Throwing things away is sometimes difficult but, once we do, also can be quite free-ing too. I can see why you would use the two-step approach to throwing things away. Sometimes (as with so much of life) we cling onto the 'known' no matter how hurtful or horrid it is rather than take that step we fear into the unknown. Same with throwing things away, what if we really, really want them back again...and it's too late, the bin man has been and emptied the bins. Yikes!
    But, I've read that if we don't wear something for a few months, we're probably never going to wear it again so, best to get rid of. (I think) I know I have a half a closet full of clothes I need to give to the charity stores here in town.
    Nice write Jae. Take care of those FEET :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your two-step approach, Jae. I am not one to cling to the old. In the literal sense, if I have not used and benefitted from something for a time, I pass it on to another who might. Figuratively, I try to do the same. If a habit, behavior, activity, relationship, etc. does not benefit, I pass on it. I love being 52 partly because I've gained the confidence to take care of myself, to honor my needs, to do what is best for me. BTW, Jae, see... you are young!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's true Sheilagh..thank you..

    Thank you MaryAnn..always good to wonder..and wander..

    Feet very safe thank you Daydreamer..and yes, no point holding onto things beyond their worth..thank you..

    Maybe learning to give is partly trusting yourself..that you'll do the right thing..the good thing..just thinking as I read your comment and wise words..fast approaching older..but lots of catching up to do (not in years).. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the beginning you are walking and in the end, thinking. With this one, the middle does not seem so important and I'm happy for that.

    I hope that you find some time to blush and burn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to stop and YouTube Patti Smith. Worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Archna..a walk and think sandwich (middles are often best left out)..thank you..

    Isn't she just - thank you Alice..Regina Spektor does a good chorus of 'you're so young you're so goddam young etc' also ('Poor Little Rich Boy' Soviet Kitsch..Patti's the king though) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. it takes courage to walk barefeet
    through gravel, and courage to write the way you do- i love this
    narrator. who often leaves me
    thinking of her andthe subiminal
    music she sends into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i would certainly be whistling something loud and fierce if gravel burned and reddened my feet. i read it several times, and it's elusive, which adds mystery to the traditionally mysterious and iconic act of walking on hot coals. sinking one's head into glass is another great image.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate gravel. Walking on air is better:)However crash landing arse on gravel , not recommended:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Ed - it was a happy tune so hopefully it wasn't too agonising..hadn't even thought of walking on coals..thank you for the insight..never pays to be too close to the picture..

    Indeed Rallentanda..a woman after my own..landing on your arse in any capacity is a bit owy... thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Jae! I love this one! Look for the smoooth spots in the gravel road when you're walking barefoot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Belva..good advice..sand would be nicer..especially when slightly warm..

    ReplyDelete