Sunday, 27 May 2012

Spiked


I sit on the bathroom floor
Spiked uncut unsettled
Same dialogue over and over
Same dialogue over and over
They came again at 8.32
Left at 8.48
I go from shop to shop
Looking
For something
I don’t know
Talk
That’s what I need
Just to say
At the end of a dead telephone
I hear it
Slipping away
Walking past the hanging sign
Straight-up Frank waves hi
I wave back
Maybe I am here
Not like Frank
Not in the same way
Never in the same way
We would not fit right
Frank does not live here
The other boy does
He holds his head
busy as busy as
He takes the notice from the wall
Shatters pins upon the floor
Places each piece of paper
Piece by piece
In the trash
I pick up the pins
I can’t make this right
I tap my hand along the wall
As the car drives by
As if to thumb a lift
Away
The car does not stop
Not today
I sit
On the bathroom floor
Spiked uncut unsettled
It can’t have been long the tea’s still hot
I can’t make this right.

15 comments:

  1. I like the repetition at the beginning and the end. There is a real rhythm in this poem. Watching this person, I want to make it right for them as well. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dandelion Girl..and you did a little.. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes the big thing that troubles us can't be made right, at least not now. But there is always something else we can make right, even if it's just one little thing, even if it's just a clean coffee cup.

    I like that there is a friendly face in this poem. Maybe he fits better than he seems to. Everyone has a secret, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ann..'better' comes in small bites..and yes, everybody has a secret..and perhaps seeing you don't fit isn't the dead end of not being part of the puzzle at all any more...thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  5. you made the poem come out right. the other boy's specialty may be that it can't be made right with him. i really liked the transition that was wanting conversation to not frank and on from there. i really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I can't make it right." I hear this loudly. There is a situation with someone I know that I have continually tried to fix. It was not more than two weeks ago that I finally decided I just can't fix it. Takes the pressure off big time. Some things we just cannot make right or fix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last four lines reminded me of a surreal poem I read a long time ago in high school. It was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are finding a means to slip away, even if it is in the brief time that tea settles. I'm sure that there are other faces like Frank's who do not live there, but are willing to come. I think we walk around seeing others as though they naturally 'fit', yet we are all working to make things right. Sometimes hearing another's wish is our only light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jae, as always, strong stuff. Loved the ending, because even if you tell yourself "I can't make this right," the tea's still hot, you noticed it, you will drink it and have a pause. There's always another car, a better ride! Love, Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.com/2012/05/27/the-last-time-i-danced-dverse/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Ed..always a pleasure to read your comment..

    I think you're right Mary..maybe it's best for both parties sometimes..I'm not a great example but it can spur people to find solutions themselves..

    Thank you Cathy..surreal would sum up my noodle (at times).. ;)

    Thank you Archna..maybe that's the nature of being human..I love the idea of light from hearing another's wish..even your comments are affirming..

    Bless you Amy..thank you..tea is always good when warm..and hopefully there's always a better set of wheels around the corner..thank you..as always..

    jae

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I can't make this right." This is a loud line! I suppose there are always "unrightable" things in our lives. Perhaps the lesson is not to make it right, but to choose differently, go in a new direction, opt for another opportunity.
    The need to talk struck me, too, probably because I have to talk things through in order to process, to learn and understand. Does it work that way for you, Jae?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know - i spend pretty much 99% of my time in splendid (or not so splendid) isolation..i know the constant internal monologue is pissing me off and would gladly try saying it out loud..maybe one day..i appreciate your virtual ear! Jae

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, and I too, like the repeat from the beginning to the end, and the tea not being cold (tho it seems, doesn't it, that it should be).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Mary... sometimes it's just best to let go.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, time can be tricky..thanks Di..

    Thank you Laurie..

    ReplyDelete