Wednesday, 20 December 2023

Sheep in Winter

The sheep keep warm 
In the snow
Their coats glistening 
And shining like crowns 
They gnaw at the straw
Their faces happy
Like a warm meal
Settling in your stomach 
Makes you smile 
In the hedges 
The robins peck at the berries 
The storm has passed 
The branches and leaves
Are stacked up
Like monuments 
The shepherd shuns the hovel
And sleeps on a crimson bed
Sheets thick as the snow outside
Warm as the sheep
Bleating happily 
A new year is coming 
The light is pink
And clear 
Calm
Like our breathing 
Today we are well 
Tomorrow will be a new page
Crisp and white
Ready for our black ink
Like the fleece 
And the face
Of the sheep in winter.

7 comments:

  1. I love the sheep in winter and can see their happy faces in your poem, and their warm coats. I especially love how you begin and end with them, and the line "Today I am well" is so calm and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Today we are well
    tomorrow will be a new page"
    I am picturing that tomorrow is the new year,
    a good time to begin anew! Nicely penned, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Like a warm meal
    Settling in your stomach
    Makes you smile " Wow!
    Such a hopeful and peace full poem. May it be so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a happy poem Jae with sheep bleating, robins pecking at the berries, shepherd sleeping on a crimson bed (Wow!) & the storm has passed. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful picture you painted and it is immersed in peace. I love 'The light is pink And clear Calm Like our breathing' and 'the crisp and white page ready for our black ink, like the fleece...... I wish you a beautiful 2024 Jae Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jaerose, Happy Christmas, I am always thinking about you. Love you lots, Robin Kimber x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jaerose, it is so good to read your work again. Have a beautiful Christmas. Love Robin Kimber. i

    ReplyDelete