Tonight the western stars are shining bright again
We look up to the moon
It glows like a cloud
We dance underneath
Too tired to talk
Too tired to dream
But we are together again
It is good to be with Alice
She makes my world shine
When all is dark and bleak
She has on a new pressed dress
New shoes
That shine
Hair soft and clean
I will try and follow her lead
I smell of alcohol fermenting
That makes me ashamed
I wish I could smell of sweet peas and lavender
Tomorrow she is coming
It will be a change
No more lying in bed all day
No more drinking myself sick
That is a good thing
She whispers
We look up to the stars
They shine just for us.
Ahhh, this is really beautiful. The new pressed dress, so nice.
ReplyDeleteAlice always brings the starshine with her.
ReplyDeleteI like the way you took Springsteen’s song title and transformed it into an original Alice poem, Jae. I love the picture you paint of Alice in the lines:
ReplyDelete‘She makes my world shine
When all is dark and bleak
She has on a new pressed dress
New shoes
That shine
Hair soft and clean’
and
‘I wish I could smell of sweet peas and lavender’.
I am happy Alice has a new dress, and that a visitor is coming who will perk up your days. Have a wonderful time under those stars. They do shine just for you.
ReplyDeleteI wish I could smell of sweet peas and lavender
ReplyDeleteWho doesn't? :)
I love this... a new pressed dress, his promise to leave his bed of drink..the promise of a new beginning. May we all be blessed with one.
ReplyDeleteThis poem is quite beautiful Jae. It is amazing that your single theme in writing of you and Alice doesn't pall but is always relevant to each and every prompt we have.
ReplyDeleteSomehow the moon and stars always offer hope and comfort, and Alice (under whatever authorship) seems always to promise both restoration and delight.
ReplyDeleteLove the images that everyone has pointed out above. But remember, one can rarely ever truly change a person...
ReplyDeleteThe intensity here is palpable.... beautifully composed.
ReplyDeleteI love how Alice can make you see the stars in just the right way.
ReplyDelete