Friday, 27 December 2019

Alive

The world is falling down
But we are still alive now
Brick dust under our finger nails
Cobwebs in our hair
Sometimes it feels as if every day is a battle
Like our mind will never stop running
Our lips silent
Quiet as a fallen chick
We would like to sing and dance
Age slows us
Makes our bones ache
Like damp wood
Deep inside
Almost chipping our heart
We are still alive now
Alice will stay for another year
I feel she will always be with me
Loud or soft
I mumble names in my sleep
Past adventures
She smooths my hair
Makes me cool
The windows are open to the night
We hear the birds
The swaying of the trees
We are still alive now
Perhaps our battles will be played outside
Perhaps one day we will be still
There are so many hopes and dreams
If you look carefully enough
We lift our head
Open our eyes
We are still alive now.

8 comments:

  1. We are still alive now, thus this world is the one we have to deal with, even if it is only in the small nests we create around ourselves to shelter us from the storms. I love the quiet voice like a fallen chick.....and the windows open to hear the birds and the wind........beautiful, Jae! I am so happy I get to read your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pensive and beautifully portrayed. I found the following lines especially soothing.
    I mumble names in my sleep
    Past adventures
    She smooths my hair
    Makes me cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where there is breath there is hope, they say. "Perhaps one day we will be still" was my favorite line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are still alive. Oh yes Jae. While we are still alive we can live in the things we have gathered to make our nests - the trees, the grass, the oceans, the creatures. We are still alive. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed yes, and I think you have said it for all of us. We are still alive now – and now is the time to make the most of our aliveness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The repeated line feels like part declaration, part wish, and part fear. It can be horrifying living through dark times. We do as we must to get through them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so true, Jae, and so beautifully expressed, with brick dust and cobwebs. I agree that it sometimes feels as if every day is a battle. I love the apt simile in the lines:
    ‘Age slows us
    Makes our bones ache
    Like damp wood
    Deep inside
    Almost chipping our heart’.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mantra, we are still alive now
    Yes indeed and so...

    ReplyDelete