"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win"
We sleep a thousand dreams
Stories of far off lands and long lost people
People who have changed the world
Quietly
Wisely
We will not change the world
But the world has changed us
We huddle under the stars
Lost in thought
Quietly breathing
There will come a day when this is difficult
That thought scares us
We must find Rabbit and stop that watch
You could be just like me she squeals
Young forever
I do not like to tell her that she is older than me
Worn and tarnished by the potions and poisoned cake
Tired by the endless cups of tea
She looks at me warily
She does not like secrets
I try not to keep them from her
She knows all my adventures
All my battles
She was always there with me after all
Perhaps she is like all those silent revolutionaries
She came to me when I needed her
When I was lost
I wonder why she stays
If there will be a day when I wake up and she is not there
Perhaps I still need her
To help me
To keep me safe
We have plenty of time she whispers
There is no need to rush
She always says the right thing
What I need to hear
It is a great truth
And the highest honour.
Well she has been a friend for a long time and it's been a trouble to get a word in edgeways but she does seem very sensible...but I still grin when I remember how old she is!
ReplyDeleteInseparable companions on the journey, you and Alice--and that's the truth!
ReplyDeleteO, Jae Rose, your wisdom ever grows!
ReplyDelete"Perhaps she is like all those silent revolutionaries
She came to me when I needed her . . . "
I hope "We have plenty of time" to say what we each need to hear, and to hesitate over the harshest truths that are older than we will ever be (though we have to seed them and grow them anew)." I think truth has room for kindness, too; and that poets are revolutionaries.
The world has changed us. Indeed it has. I love that you protect Alice, and that she came to you when you needed her. Love her gentle reassurance....and the line about the great truth and highest honour...a beautiful poem.
ReplyDeleteWell I think that Alice is too good to be true.I bet she sneaks out to the kitchen at night and raids the chocolate biscuit tin Someone told me she put Baileys in her hot cocoa when you are not looking:)
ReplyDeleteThe world has changed us...she always says the right thing...these are amazibg lines about truth and friendship
ReplyDeleteThank goodness for Alice..I love how you weaved her in this and made it personal.
ReplyDeleteThe world has changed us...strong and powerful lines.
ReplyDeleteAlice is as wise as her years. She'll know when it's time.
ReplyDeleteWe will not change the world
ReplyDeleteBut the world has changed us... once we realize that, I think we're ready to try saving the world - and become one of those 'silent revolutionaries'...
I like the transition from the dreamy tone evoked by the lines:
ReplyDelete‘We sleep a thousand dreams
Stories of far off lands and long lost people’
through
‘We huddle under the stars
Lost in thought
Quietly breathing’
To the urgency of:
‘We must find Rabbit and stop that watch’.
I wasn’t surprised by the revelation that Alice is older, ‘Worn and tarnished by the potions and poisoned cake / Tired by the endless cups of tea’, but I know that gut-wrenching feeling when you realise the truth - that you’ve finally grown up.