Friday, 18 October 2019

Astonishment

It really is amazing
She declares
It's as if the moon is bending like a spoon
Full of milk and honey
Replete and bathing in cool white light
Every day throws up some kind of wonder
You just have to look
The rain pours down
We walk until we are fully drenched
Past the point of caring to keep dry
It makes us giggle
Hopping in puddles
Waving our umbrella
As if we could fly
We wouldn't go far
Maybe just above the red bed and the mirror
Watch ourselves coming down
But not with a bump
She delights
That would be silly
The bells ring in the night
The grass is being swept away
I fear that the tree will be chopped down but thankfully it stays
Its big green arms
Welcome in another day
We have seen it blossom and fade
For many years now
It is our sky line
Our connection to the earth
Below the ground are tiny bones
Marked by flowers
Faded with time
For a fleeting moment everything feels in balance
And within that moment we feel fine.  

10 comments:

  1. Oh, the moon bending like a spoon.....every day with its wonder when we have eyes to see.....i am so glad the tree survives with its big green arms. I love your closing lines. Love the whole poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many precious things that delight us and trees that I can see from my window are my favorites too. There are some really large Eucalyptus trees too and I like to thank them for giving me fresh air to breathe! I love that your writing is not just observing but action as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet. This moon awe is richly saturate, like honey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent. From the Matrix, there is no spoon...but you have given us s spoon moon. I too love jumping in puddles on a rainy day. You hsve shown us wonder ad well as written it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so very beautiful! I love the image of the moon, and the final lines:
    Our connection to the earth
    Below the ground are tiny bones
    Marked by flowers

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful poem finding balance and harmony.Send me this vibe across the oceans. I could use it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bouncy joy in such joy... to be connected with the moon is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. the rain, the jumping, trees arms, bones, just a lovely journey of a poem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous way to describe amazement: as if the moon is bending like a spoon full of milk and honey’. It’s true, you just have to look for wonder, Jae, and I love giggling while hopping in puddles, albeit without an umbrella. The image of the tree is especially touching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your poem is incredibly lovely ......

    ReplyDelete