Tuesday, 15 October 2019

Food

We take the food we eat for granted
Sweet pies and golden apples
Food fit for a feast
A carefully decorated table
Golden syrup tea
Lace cloths
Fine blue china that rings when you touch it
It has not always been so
There was a time
Before Hatter
When we had no pennies to barter
No gifts to exchange
And the table lay empty
Chairs abandoned
Tea pot drained
No strange conversations
Or riddles to solve
Our stomachs growled like tigers
But we never felt hungry
We filled ourselves up with different things
Words
Dreams
Hopes
Fears
We ran like Rabbit
Quick as the ticking watch
All needs suspended in time
There was no room to stop for potions and cakes
It is different now
We are learning to enjoy the food we have
We eat slowly
Savour the flavours and smells
Feel like we deserve them
Day by day we learn
Not to take our plates for granted.

11 comments:

  1. “Our stomachs growled like tigers
    But we never felt hungry”

    the last two lines

    So, so good. Excellent poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new favorite for me of your beautiful poems Jae!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, knowing not to take our plates for granted. No one apprecviates food more than one who has gone without it. Beautifully written, Jae. I love the contentment in your poems these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the security that follows the lacks of life when finally we can count on having enough. Powerful details help me see my blessings, too, in your poem. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like the food that doesn't perish: words, dreams, hopes, fears. They are always with us, always ready to fill us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We take the food we eat for granted...working several times weeky with people who have food insecurity, this statement cuts me in my heart. But your poem is full of contentment. I like that. And I like the food that doesn't spoil as well, the blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes yes we do eat the food we eat for granted. I love this poem especially I love your words "We filled ourselves up with different things
    Words
    Dreams
    Hopes
    Fears
    What a feast to get filled up with that

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being blessed and very grateful to have access to an array of various foods...and to eat off a plate and at a table.
    In a sad world of have-nothing, there are so many poor souls who depend upon the crumbs of kindness, for their existence..
    A very thoughtful poem Jae...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good! Perhaps we can go ona dinner date now...or did you want to cook for me at home? Let me know in advance as it is a 17000km trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful poem of gratitude. Here light is not without darkness to make us aware of it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this poem of gratitude..We can't appreciate light without a walk through darkness. May we always be grateful for what we have.

    ReplyDelete