We sing our hymn for the weekend
Autumn brushes against the window pane
Browns and yellows
Flashing with sparks
Trilling with musical notes
We try and catch the electricity in our hands
A little ray of light to make the morning brighter
To hear our song
Amplified like birds cawing on the window sill
It is slippery under foot
Alice skips and twirls in the puddles
I grip my toes
Scared of falling
There's nothing to be afraid of she giggles
But I am
My fears fill my head
Like candles in a pumpkin head
In that case I will blow the candles out she squeals
It is good to open the door
To step foot upon the ground
But there is nothing better than coming home
To fill our stomachs with water and sugar
To fill our minds with dreaming thoughts
We stick memories in books
Like crisp fallen leaves
Ones that hold a thousand memories
One day we will sit and look back on them
Like a good song replayed in time
Our hymn for the weekend
Passed on and treasured in rhyme.
My fears fill my head
ReplyDeleteLike candles in a pumpkin head
In that case I will blow the candles out she squeals
you're lucky and awesome <3
It is strange how precious memories are and how simple mementos are too, none more than that safe feeling at home. I really liked this Jae.
ReplyDeleteThis is gorgeously rendered, Jae!💞 I love; "We stick memories in books like crisp fallen leaves." Thank you so much for writing to the prompt 😊
ReplyDeleteYou’ve created that feeling of sitting indoors in October in the opening line, Jae; autumn does seem to brush against the window pane; and you’ve captured the sound of October in ‘Amplified like birds cawing on the window sill’. I also love the lines:
ReplyDelete‘My fears fill my head
Like candles in a pumpkin head’
and
‘…there is nothing better than coming home’ – so true!
"We stick memories in books
ReplyDeleteLike crisp fallen leaves... nice.
Fall is a mix of emotions, for sure.
I LOVE this poem! Your writing is amazing these days, even more so than usual. I love the song amplified like birds cawing on the windowsill.....and the fears filling your head like candles inside a pumpkin head. Brilliant! I love the memories saved to be revisited one day "Like a good song replayed in time." Wonderful writing!
ReplyDeleteThere is something so special in the memory of the weekend... a wonderful hymn that echo while we wait for the next.
ReplyDeleteWe stick memories in books
ReplyDeleteLike crisp fallen leaves - the hymn of memory is hauntingly beautiful!
I just read your poem aloud to a dear friend ... we sat hushed as I finished. Brava.
ReplyDelete