We stand on dandelion street
Compass in hand
Glass slippers on our feet
We have the strength to smash ten letters in the air
Our instinct is to drive
To speed to the finish line
It's all just a stage
And a spirit
We dangle our feet in the subway
Buzzers blow our ear drums
We would rather be at home
Wrapped in a sari
Fresh treats from the bakery
Melting in our hands
We made it through another night
Lantern over head
Whiskey in our tummy
It's all just a raffle and a blow.
Dandelion street sounds magical, with a hint of fairytale in the glass slippers, but then there's a change in the lines:
ReplyDelete'We dangle our feet in the subway
Buzzers blow our ear drums
We would rather be at home
Wrapped in a sari'.
I like the sound of the 'Fresh treats from the bakery / Melting in our hands'. Those girls need some comfort.
Girls night out sounds a lot better than a boys night out in my world Jae. Mind you it did take me back to my wild teens which luckily I survived!
ReplyDeleteThere are so many things we rather be doing, but... life will always do what it must--"It's all a raffle and a blow."
ReplyDeleteThere really is no place like home - especially when one can be wrapped in a sari and have fresh bakery treats as well!
ReplyDeleteRich and musical Rae - your last eight lines especially so:
ReplyDelete"We would rather be at home
Wrapped in a sari
Fresh treats from the bakery
Melting in our hands
We made it through another night
Lantern over head
Whiskey in our tummy
It's all just a raffle and a blow."
Such a vivid pleasure to read.
Very well-penned. "We would rather be at home" made me smile, with its delectable need for comfort of the familiar.
ReplyDelete-HA
The outside world is often a lot of go-go-go, isn't it. The peace and slowed down pace of home is a much needed respite.
ReplyDeleteHow marvelously you have woven the words from Sunday's Whirligig into an engaging poem, Jae! I'm delighted to stand with you on Dandelion Street. (Surely that street must exist somewhere in the world!) I'm a bit apprehensive about dangling my feet in the subway with you, but, well, why not? What's life without a little danger? And, besides, you assure me that I too will make it through another night, so I am happy and content--even without whiskey in my tummy. Great read!
ReplyDeleteOne night at a time seems like the best way. And I'd love to join you in the whiskey and bakery treats.
ReplyDeleteLove the glass slippers and smashing the ten letters in the air.
ReplyDeleteLife is a raffle - so true one never knows if you will be a winner or not. I am a believer in one day at a time but, a little whiskey helps ease the pain.
ReplyDeleteI love the thought of a dandelion street... we all need the strength to flower on concrete and dust... Have you heard about dandelion children. I think your poem express a bit of that.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the idea of dandelion street! Love the idea of the bakery treats. And the lantern overhead helps us make it through another night. I love your poems.
ReplyDelete"We stand on dandelion street
ReplyDeleteCompass in hand"
I would call this an oxymoron opening. No compass can be of any use in Dandelion street
Happy Sunday Jae
much love...
This has gone well.
ReplyDelete*sigh* Still no Alice?
Yup! I missed you... : )
ReplyDeleteZQ
The word weaving in this is enchanting and swept me along down that dandelion street, from start to finish.
ReplyDeleteI love Dandelion Street (I want to live there) especially if I could wear glass slippers and drink whiskey with you!
ReplyDeleteExcellent use of the prompt words
ReplyDeleteMy favorite lines here are the following:
"We stand on Dandelion Street compass in hand"
"We'd rather be at home wrapped in a sari"
"Fresh treats from the bakery melting in our hands"
Fun journey down Dandelion Street, loved it.
ReplyDeleteI too love the dandelion street....the treats from the bakery...lovely images.
ReplyDeleteSorry, I keep mixing you up with purpleinportland re the background! Your styles are somewhat similar.
ReplyDeleteDandelion Street sounds soft, with the clicking of glass slippers for noise. I love, “it’s all just a raffle and a bow.”
ReplyDelete