We play in the midnight garden
Skip along the rooftops
Tremble at the overflow
The cypress tree rises in the wind
All around us is sky
Deep and blue
Like water
We go about our usual route
Twice as many as before
Grappling with stars we find
Crunching on moonbeams
In search of handsome roses
What's mine is yours
There is no one left to tell
The grass subsides under our toes
We farm freakish dreams
Wrap ourselves tightly in the blue blanket
The chill doesn't reach our bones
Not yet
We play along the rooftops
Watch the leaves fall
All is quiet
All is lost
Still her tiny hand reaches mine
We stand together in the midnight garden
Whole
Fearless
Full.
nice.
ReplyDelete*heart*
ReplyDeleteWe always feel better holding someones hand (no matter how small) for each receives comfort from the other. This poem was very touching Jae.
ReplyDeleteOMG how I love this! I have my own midnight gardens in which I love to play. This one is created so beautifully: sheer enchantment. And what a wonderful conclusion!
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me of the novel 'Rooftoppers' by Katherine Rundell, Jae. I love the idea of a different life at night, skipping along the rooftops. I especially love the lines:
ReplyDelete'Grappling with stars we find
Crunching on moonbeams'.
I like the feeling of freedom in this piece.
ReplyDelete"Whole, fearless, full" -- such strength in those words. Beautiful poem, Jae.
ReplyDeleteYour midnight garden is a magical place, Jae. Thank you for taking us there.
ReplyDeleteEeek! What's become of the 'Alice' backdrop?
ReplyDeleteLove the feel of this one, and the closing lines.
I love the playing in the midnight garden, grappling with stars.
ReplyDeleteOh I do love when you find peace... midnight can be a hard time otherwise.
ReplyDeleteThis resonates happiness for me luv the midnight snack
ReplyDelete"Crunching on moonbeams"
Thanks for dropping by my Sumi-e Sunday today Jae
Much🌻💛🌺love
I love the play in the garden with the moon and stars. The ending is perfect whole, fearless and full. Words of new found strength.
ReplyDeleteLove the idea of playing in the midnight garden, grappling with stars.. so beautiful!!❤️
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of playing on the rooftops!! Her small hand reaches for mine...really love it.
ReplyDeleteFantastical and just perfect for the cusp of fall! Loved the sense of float.
ReplyDeleteThis is my favorite of your poems to date. Being an insomniac, I am often at my best and strongest during the night. I love the rooftop life of you and Alice. And standing there at the end, "Whole, fearless, full". Such strength and freedom in those words. I love this poem.
ReplyDeleteI loved this trip to the midnight garden. Some wonderful writing in this, Jae.
ReplyDeletethe visual images are lovely e.g 'handsome roses' interspersed with an aside commentary like an inner voice -"What's mine is yours
ReplyDeleteThere is no one left to tell"
beautiful, yet touching imagery.
ReplyDeletewe will be fearless when we are free. :)