Tuesday, 4 September 2018

Books

The books rest gently on the pillow
Keen words and eager stories
Waiting to be fulfilled
The pages smell delicious
We try to keep them out of the sun
So the print is always new
Spines unbroken
Characters ready to play out their roles
We get lost in the magic
Time stands still as we savour the words
Alice skips and trips at my side
I was in the underground once she declares
But I wrote myself out
Maybe you can too
Steal some phrases
Pilfer some ideas
All just a white rabbit disappearing down the tunnel
We stack the books by the side of the bed
Wait patiently to reveal their magic.


10 comments:

  1. I always have a delicious stack next to my bed too. I keep our tiny library hopping! I love the lively tone of this poem, Alice skipping about, and the white rabbit scooting down the hole. A delight to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Time stands still as we savour the words".. this is such a lovely phrase 💞

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! with books as our companions,we can be anywhere at any time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this poem. Books have companioned me all my life. They are such treasures, and we travel so far in them. I love Alice skipping and the white rabbit going down the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, books are so precious and full of magic, as is this poem, Jae!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this poem so much. The smell of the books, the print, Alice skipping and tripping at your side. I too love my books and carefully open them. Lovely poem Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, this is lovely. Alice's journey is special — writing oneself out makes it rather saddening but that is how it goes. Let's all wait for the magic to be revealed in the end.
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful Jae. I was so lucky as a youngster as my mother worked in a library so I hade a free hand to read what I liked even from the Adult section when new books arrived and I was among the first to read them!

    ReplyDelete