The pillows are speckled with dust
Fathers and sons
Snuggled up bodies
All in the distance
A brilliant rippled tide
Lilting skyward
A quiet longing
All muddled and starved
We dream amongst the night
Nursing beers and wines
A cool blast against our legs
A thin veil of rain
Yielding and blending colours
A gentle cluck
And a fearsome gallop
We will wait until morning comes
A sweet release upon on our teeth
Stories left untold
Bodies wrapped carefully in cotton
We wish for more but do not have the words to say
All is calm and quiet
We will shake the pillows and make the bed
Rest our weary head upon the silver skies
Fathers and sons
Cool bodies in the night
Distant pictures
All a dream
Magic and loss
We put away the paper bags
And wait
All is calm and quiet.
"We will shake the pillows and make the bed
ReplyDeleteRest our weary head upon the silver skies"
And maybe that's enough --- having a place to rest our head.
"A cool blast against our legs
A thin veil of rain
Yielding and blending colours"
Gorgeous.
"We wish for more but do not have the words to say" ... I hope you'll try to find, and write, them.
This is very beautiful. Your imagery is so dreamy. I love the rippled tide lilting skyward. "We wish for more but do not have the words to say" pings my heart. The wistfulness of it. I love the idea of resting your weary head upon the silver skies. It feels restful. Your writing is enchanting, Jae. I loved this.
ReplyDeleteMagic and loss
ReplyDeleteWe put away the paper bags
And wait
All is calm and quiet.
Good close, Jae! Always encouraging if one is to be patient. Things will change for the better!
Hank
I love the style of this poem Jae. I has such a beautiful dream sequence with such great imagery. I loved it too!
ReplyDeleteThe poem has such a placid surface while in depth lies 'the stories untold' that may not be as calm. Love the contrast. Haunting and beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThis is absolutely beautiful!💞 Especially love "We wish for more but do not have the words to say/All is calm and quiet/We will shake the pillows and make the bed/Rest our weary head upon the silver skies."💞
ReplyDeleteThere's a lot of restlessness under that quiet. At some point it will need to be free to run.
ReplyDeleteSuch evocative writing, Jae. You really have the gift of setting a scene and carrying it through.....
ReplyDeleteCalm and quiet can be great treasures!
ReplyDeleteThe dust on tbe pillows to begin i find very poignant. We expect a sleep but not the kind to wake from. Its a great opener for a poem of sadness and despair
ReplyDeleteHappy Sunday Jae
Much💞love
Oh, wow... the first two lines grab the eyes and then rest just keep on widening them... until we are taken whole...
ReplyDeleteI love this, these lines in particular:
ReplyDelete"A quiet longing
All muddled and starved"
fine piece
ReplyDeleteLovely imagery. Magic and loss … an intriguing combination.
ReplyDeleteThere is definitely a ripple of tension in all this calm and quiet — the refrain of "fathers and sons" and the "cool" blasts and bodies create a feeling of discomfort.
ReplyDeleteHow interesting is your phrasing and its flow in this verse! I really enjoyed it.
-HA
I love, "a quiet longing" and the dreamy feel of this poem.
ReplyDelete