Monday, 27 August 2018

Autumn

Autumn comes in its sweet white robes
Blows a cold mist around our ears
Heralds in new sounds
And love
We stand up high and watch the wind troop the colours of the leaves
Inside we are warm
Too warm
We throw the covers off
Wonder where summer has been and gone
We drink sweet tea and nibble on chocolate squares
Dream of railways and journeys
In waking we are static
Heralds in new sounds
Wind
Rain
Colour
We leave the windows open to scoop up the autumn air
Soon it will get too cold and we will have to shut them
But for now we enjoy the occasional nip and frost
We are waiting again
But there is a calm in the air
An acceptance
Not all comes to those who wait
We understand
And wait some more
Looking
Always looking at the changing sky before us.

16 comments:

  1. Not all comes to those who wait
    We understand
    And wait some more.... wow..that is wonderfully written and somehow captures the brooding mood of autumn perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant opening lines, Jae, and I can't wait to 'stand up high and watch the wind troop the colours of the leaves',
    '...drink sweet tea and nibble on chocolate squares
    Dream of railways and journeys',
    and
    '...leave the windows open to scoop up the autumn air'.
    A contented poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful imagery in this one Jae 💞 especially love; "We leave the windows open to scoop up the autumn air."😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a delightful novelty to Autumn's brisk winds after Summer's heat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this one's particularly beautiful, full of movement and sensation. I like the calm and acceptance, and also the changing sky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "But there is a calm in the air/An acceptance/Not all comes to those who wait/We understand": This is simply beautiful.
    Such a honest, heart-touching verse.
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this seasonal journey I just took.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of scooping up the autumn air. This whole poem is glorious Jae!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so many layers... the autumn, the daylight and the rippling anxiety underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We leave the windows open to scoop up the autumn air...I love this line. Such a lovely and descriptive images in this. Autumn. Thank goodness it is coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know I am waiting, its been a long hot summer. This just the kind of thing to get me in the right frame of mind for a cool down! great piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the flow of this. It felt more like a walkthrough for me...and that's the best way ( I was lost in it...sniffing the autumn air)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me at that breathtaking opening.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, you evoke the feeling of fall in me. This has been a long summer of pain. I am looking forward to cooler weather and open windows.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is absolutely beautiful. You have made me feel happy and positive today .Thank you . I will now go and open my windows to scoop up the Spring air.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mynewfavourite of yours. So beautiful with its movement and imagery. Really lovely, my friend. I especially love autumn coming in its sweet white robes.

    ReplyDelete