We lie together drawing circles in the air
Embracing the rapture of another relapse
We shake not in bliss
Self loathing
Mean thoughts rolling waves
A sea of wishes and hate
The triggers light the ceiling
The broccoli boils over
We are hungry and tired
Still, we carry on
Picking the strings of hope
Trying to cast away the desire to remain still
We should delight in being
Instead each day is a war
We wish we had not been born
She presses her tiny fingers to my lips
Gives me water when there is drought
We lie together drawing circles in the air
Embracing the rapture of another relapse.
picking strings of hope while drawing circles in the air... I think there's a flicker of the positive...
ReplyDeleteThank you Thotpurge
DeleteI like this. Sometimes a relapse is oddly more comforting than getting better.
ReplyDeleteMatt Johnson
Thanks Matt
DeleteAlthough we laugh at Alice and her antics what boon she is for you Jae. However bad we feel it is always a comfort to have a friend close by.
ReplyDeleteYes indeed - thanks Old Egg
Delete"We should delight in being
ReplyDeleteInstead each day is a war"....These are my days too & you're a thought reader. Sigh.
Thanks Sumana
DeleteThe emotional nature of the description is offset by the details of ceiling and broccoli pot.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kerry
DeleteKeep on keeping on, Jae. I seem to be saying that a lot today!
ReplyDeleteThanks Tom!
Deletepicking strings of hope while drawing circles in the air... I like how you weave hope into your poem, Jae ❤️ Beautifully penned.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sanaa
DeleteThis is such an emotional poem, Jae, it's made my chest tight - and that's after reading just the opening lines. I really identify with the lines:
ReplyDelete'The broccoli boils over
We are hungry and tired
Still, we carry on
Picking the strings of hope'.
Thanks very much Kim
DeleteGreat opening lines. This really tugs at the heart strings. I read your piece of poetry twice. Emotionaly thought provoking.
ReplyDeleteThanks Julian
DeleteSuch sadness in these lines, Jae. May the 'strings of hope' hold fast.
ReplyDeleteThank you Mary
DeleteWell, I'm a little confused because the opening and closing lines sound idyllic, delightful – but between them is a very different scenario. Maybe I'm just being dumb ... but anyway, I am happy for the water when there is drought.
ReplyDeleteYou could never be dumb Rosemary - always appreciate your insight thank you
DeleteAh, now I realise belatedly that some of the words are from a list – and doing that directs us into unexpected constructions, and new ways of perception for a reader. Maybe it was just too late at night for me to apprehend the unexpected!
DeleteI especially like that first line, and this:
ReplyDelete'the broccoli boils over
we are hungry and tired
still, we carry on
picking the strings of hope.
I also like:
'she presses her tiny fingers to my lips
gives me water when there is drought.'
Such hopefulness in those lines.
Thanks colourful
Delete"the rapture of a relapse"
ReplyDeleteIt probably isn't so rapturous as the moment, but what else can you do but embrace it? Courageous!
Thanks Magical!
DeleteRelapse is always hard. But one knows its opposite is possible to return to. Thank heaven for water after drought, and for Alice's tiny fingers, shushing the bad wish, for she knows we all need you here. Keep plucking those strings of hope, my friend.
ReplyDeleteThank you kindly Sherry xo
DeleteSo much to like in your poem! And I love the image of the rocks...a favorite kind of rock, with the light stripes thorugh them! And maybe that is it? The rocks have "strings of hope"? Yes, there is "delight in being"! Your poem is evidence of that! Jae you are such a condradiction! A "pixie" at heart!
ReplyDeleteThanks Annell - I love the thought of being a pixie xo
DeleteSo much of this hits incredibly close to home. Great write, Jae
ReplyDeleteThank you Rene
DeleteThanks
ReplyDeleteThe pathos here leaves me feeling smothered with despair.
ReplyDeleteThank you Indybev
DeleteWishing you had not been born is such a waste of energy. You were, you are, and what you become is based solely on what you choose to be.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
Thank you as ever for your guidance Elizabeth
DeleteDeep Sigh!
ReplyDeleteZQ
I love that they continue to move beyond the exhaustion. There are days, when every single one of us must remember that.
ReplyDeleteThanks Magaly
DeleteVery stark and emotional as I too feel I am picking at the strings of hope....so many days it feels as if we are going backward into a relapse
ReplyDeleteDonna@LivingFromHappiness
Yes indeed thank you Donna
DeleteSad but excellent poem.Life is such a struggle for some.Just as well there is always chocolate and fur rugs.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds good thanks Cressida
Delete"...water when there is drought"
ReplyDeleteThat's what friends are for
much love...
True enough thanks Gillena
DeleteI like that they keep moving no matter how tired or hungry. Sometimes you just have to do that - keep moving numbly ahead until the hope glimmer gets brighter.
ReplyDeleteYes indeed thanks Toni
Delete"Still, we carry on
ReplyDeletePicking the strings of hope"
Thank you, thank you!
And thank you too Susan
DeleteLove the opening and closing lines in this, Jae. Also, 'rapture of relapse' suggests deep layers in the psyche.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sara
DeleteI may be reading more into this: there is always hope.
ReplyDeleteThank you Martin
DeleteThis is a hard poem to read - but such is life. We struggle through the dark days and - yes - a bit of light peaks in on us ... there is always the hope of that.
ReplyDeleteThank you Wendy
DeleteSigh! This resonates with me right now.
ReplyDeleteThank you Ayala let's hope for brighter days
DeleteYour writing typifies our banal existence with brief moments of rapture. Really nice word choice and construction
ReplyDeleteThank you Angie
DeleteThis fits the mood I'm in. I struggle with being accused of not listening, trying to fit into a funnel I don't want to be poured into. Life is a roller coaster. I seem to be taking all the down slides. Grab the rapture while it is there.
ReplyDeleteI hope you find your way out of the tunnel...many thanks Susie
DeleteThank goodness for those small bits of tenderness when we feel drained of everything. This is such a powerful piece.
ReplyDeleteThank you Rommy
Delete'rapture of relapse' Christ that hit a little to close home. Thank goodness for my friends. Excellent piece
ReplyDeleteThanks Raivenne
DeleteA sea of wishes would be better than only a tiny puddle of them, don't you think? At least, you'd have a lot to choose from!
ReplyDeleteMy Sunday Whirl (a bit late)
True enough - thanks Magical
Delete