I met a caterpillar once
She says
Clutching at the air
He smoked a pipe
Left me all confused
You are just like him
She wipes a sticky mass of hair from her face
We are agitated and bored
Lying still
Breathing
Chewing
Counting
Turning a kaleidoscope of worries into black and white
She props herself up
As if shifting her weight will change time
And space
It is all smoke and mirrors
No place to begin
No obvious end
It really is a curious affair
I don’t think you intend to confuse me
But this adventure is far too tedious to enjoy any more
Her words lacerate my skin
Of that she knows
I shut down my muscles
Close my eyes tight
How could I be without her
Indeed, who would you be without me
She says triumphantly
Inhaling
I breathe
Clutch at the air
Wish upon a thousand stars that Caterpillar was here.

What I liked about Caterpillar (and other people and creatures) illustrated in early Carrol's books was there frightening looks unlike modern children's books. Alice's wonderland is very much a nightmare and seems to indicate to children that life is not all that rosy Jae! (Sorry for the pun). However life is like that as we search for happiness however small. You seem to do this so well with your writing Jae.
ReplyDeleteThank you Old Egg - and we like the pun ;)
DeleteWhew, that rhyming ending got me gasping for breath! Those caterpillars are quite the charmers. "Turning a kaleidoscope of worries into black and white" seems so attractive at first but those two abstractions are hard as stone, as hard as the threat of being left alone. This is my new favorite of your poems. I'm embracing complexity as the air we breathe. Indeed, having an Alice is part of its joy.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Susan
DeleteTurning a kaleidoscope of worries into black and white.. that's my line of the day, no week or month! And I used the smoke and mirrors reference too!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Thotpurge.. I will visit your smoke and mirrors ;)
DeleteWho would you be without eachother? This piece sums up your relationship perfectly Jae and Alice.
ReplyDeleteRosey strikes again!
Thank you Keith - and look forward to meeting up with Rosey once again
Delete'a kaleidoscope of worries into black and white' perfect wordings for our times. Curious Alice lifts up a tedious soul and she triumphs. Nice really.
ReplyDeleteShe can be nice - thanks Sumana
DeleteI love the way this poem begins and ends with Caterpillar. Love the breathtaking ending, and felt some concern at the possibioity of Alice leaving. We all anticipate your poems, to see what she has to say. This is my fave of your poems.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sherry - I think Alice will be sticking around for a while yet
Deletea kaleidoscope of worries into black and white' is a good start if you can see them that way then you can then make them go away.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sheilagh
DeletePerhaps Caterpillar is the wisest of all? Soon she will transform and be a butterfly, butterflies don't smoke silly, only if they are on fire, and then bring the water bucket, put out the smoke, let her fly away unsinged!
ReplyDeleteTsk - you do make me smile..thanks Annell xo
Delete'a kaleidoscope of worries into black and white' is such a brilliant image!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Sanaa
DeleteI have read your words several time and how "Her words lacerate my skin" stands out.
ReplyDeleteRelationships of any kind are complex things and I wonder of the relevance of Caterpillar...
Brilliant deep write.
Anna :o]
Thank you for your insightful comment hyper..
DeletePerfect, It starts and ends with the caterpillar. ...but in between...
ReplyDeleteIs a scary place - thanks Martin
DeleteHow I love this line, "Turning a kaleidoscope of worries into black and white". It led me to believe, like in Alice's Adventures, the speaker will conquer worries. Excellent write!
ReplyDeleteThank you for that belief Khaya - we will try our best
Delete"Turning a kaleidoscope of worries into black and white"
ReplyDeleteBrillant line and you must love that caterpillar
He is a curious creature (so says Alice) thank you Marja
DeleteMaybe it's time to let Alice go. If go she will.
ReplyDeleteI think you could be right thank you (other) Alice
Deletesharp story.
ReplyDeleteThanks
DeleteAh, Caterpillar. You come, you go, you change, you flow. And we who are left behind (or below), wonder what's next. We do, you know.
ReplyDeleteYour comment is poetry in itself - thanks Magical ;)
DeleteI remember that blue caterpillar puffing away. Like Lewis Carrol I don't think it was tobacco he was smoking:)
ReplyDeleteI think you are right! Thanks Rallentanda
Delete