Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Tilt




Alice tilts her head
Leans into the static 
Which has haunted us 
For so many days
We are on the floor 
Lavender wrapped around our neck
So tired not even the powder can seduce us 
And yet we inhale
Deep breaths of longing and loss
How quickly time fades 
Trickles like a burn 
From the palm of our hand
That’s where all good stories begin
She wraps her sticky fingers in mine
I don’t have a life line
I think I will be stuck like this forever 
Nothing urgent to be seen to 
Nothing worth raising my head 
The sweat of newsprint on cold food
Hard to swallow 
We are always being watched 
We force our eyes shut
Press the lids into the sockets of our skull
Try to remember what electricity tastes like 
Shh, I whisper as we make birds swim across the screen
When the time is right 
We will let the world in. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Illustration - Tove Jansson

17 comments:

  1. Oh no! Not another flamingo being used for croquet! Life seems so unjust, sometimes we want time to stay still at the good times at others we want the present to pass, then there is that urge to go back. If only we had a choice of worlds to live in Jae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The powder helps with that dilemma - thanks Old Egg ;)

      Delete
  2. "And yet we inhale
    Deep breaths of longing and loss
    How quickly time fades
    Trickles like a burn
    From the palm of our hand
    That’s where all good stories begin" I wish I had written this truth! Instead I inhale it, knowing you are at the source of all stories. Have you read "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" by Salman Rushdie? And then you remind me of that TV show about wanting to be a millionaire which offers three "lifelines" before failure--although I think you are referring to palm reading--a delicious image for starting a story--though what does it mean to have none, or maybe have it burned away? Pain, I think. Unrelieved exhaustion. News media? Wrapped around fried fish, waiting at a closed door. Keep writing, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan - we will always try..

      Delete
  3. How quickly time fades
    Trickles like a burn
    From the palm of our hand
    That’s where all good stories begin.. love this Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We are always being watched
    We force our eyes shut
    Press the lids into the sockets of our skull
    Try to remember what electricity tastes like "

    A very dramatic presentation of life in today's world of technology

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially love those closing lines.......making birds swim across the screen. A movie of one's own making, behind closed eyelids. I LOVE "when the time is right, we will let them in." Very hopeful..........watch the mail, kiddo. An envelope is making its way to you......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry - we look forward to that envelope arriving xo

      Delete
  6. The sweat of newsprint on cold food----this line bites like dark and deep cold...Alice is filling up a hard life with so much imagination....great write!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like this depiction that we always have a choice:

    When the time is right
    We will let the world in.

    Superb piece, Jae!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like all of yours, to be sipped not slurped.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have captured the feelings of love and loss so perfectly, with each word, I remember, and then like folding clothes fresh from the dryer, I fold the memories and put them away. We have been there, I can't even say it is a nice place to visit, but the feelings are vivid and will last a lifetime. Beautiful, sad write. Sometimes "breath" is all we have, little one.

    ReplyDelete