Saturday, 20 May 2017

Star



It’s hard to remember sleep
How did I get so confused 
Dialling the wrong number in the dark
Hoping for a thief 
Or defender 
To pick up my soul
Curious trips
Messages that sing and soar
Rain that cleanses like soap in the mouth
Flimsy shinings
Traces of lines 
Running in the night
How did I get so confused
The loneliness of insomnia 
Wraps its arms around me
So tired 
Traces of lines
Running in the night
She holds out a hand
I am really quite good at solving puzzles
But you
You are a curious creature indeed
A stilted story
All this nonsense with powders and pastes
Her voice sings
Mine is flimsy
So tired
More Wasteland than Wonderland 
A collage of lines
Running fingers over skin in the night 
Three am callings
Trips and messages I can hear but cannot reach
It’s hard to remember sleep
How did I get so confused
I hold her hand like a star in the night. 

54 comments:

  1. Trips and messages I can hear but cannot reach
    It’s hard to remember sleep

    Dreams have a way of presenting disconnected sequences that result in confusion. It is hard to comprehend that one forgets what sleep was all about. It happens yes!

    http://imagery77.blogspot.my/2017/05/his-father-was-good-man-forgiving-man.html

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we really hope for sleep - thank you Hank!

      Delete

  2. I hope you haven't fallen into the same trap as me having my iPad to chat to at 4am in the morning! I am like a zombie by day and restless at night. Alice would know nothing of this but she might have a old bottle of laudanum handy to help the sleep!(the one labelled "Drink me". Love the photograph Jae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Old Egg - sorry I deleted your first message zombie days indeed!

      Delete
  3. I will lay claim to it then in case others think you are talking to yourself. Which I may add; I do all the time myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relate, Jae. Thank you for this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awake, asleep; there's little difference, for in our dreams we are awake. I found myself rubbing my eyes whilst reading this.

    Click to read my latest tale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insomnia feels like that for sure - thank you Keith

      Delete
  6. Rain that cleanses like soap in the mouth... I always feel you drag words from deep within and drop them on the page. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit like that! Thank you Thotpurge

      Delete
  7. It's hard to remember sleep

    Sigh.
    Well-penned Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your pretty star. Smiles. "More wasteland than wonderland" is a sad line. There is so much wonder. I so love the line "I hold her hand like a star in the night." Happy Sunday, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "She holds out a hand
    I am really quite good at solving puzzles"

    This is my favorite part, and how you tied it to the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is what I know: As long as we have a hand--just one hand--to hold, we will be all right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the contradiction you've painted with "More Wasteland than Wonderland"--so vividly bleak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit of a dark place - thank you C.C.

      Delete
  12. Holding hands with stars, nothing can beat it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wasteland more than Wonderland... I find that my insomnia always is about what happens in plain daylight. Maybe insomnia is fear of light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps the only balance we can ever know is that one with equal parts of fearing both the light and dark. I pray you find the sleep you need,

      Elizabeth

      Delete
    2. I like that interpretation thanks Bjorn and Elizabeth - sleep would be good

      Delete
  14. I try to make friends with insomnia, and make it a time for reading, jotting down thoughts, thinking things through, and eventually sleep overtakes me. Your poem speaks volumes ... and speaks them well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the contradiction which you have painted here with "More Wasteland than Wonderland."

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who said we need to sleep in particular times...I do sudoku, or wandering around, not big deal...sleep when your body wants it. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. More Wasteland than Wonderland has a darkness to it that I love. The last few lines kind of bring it back full circle. Maybe the insomnia is finally welcomed for it's light and dark.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It does feel like a wasteland when we think, in the middle of a sleepless night, that we are alone. It's good to have an inner Alice to hold our hand until we find peace, which is actually an awakening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you as ever for your hand in the night Myrna

      Delete
  19. Insomnia is a mad beast grinning with sleepy eyes while shrieking twisted whispers into achy bones. I've told her once or thrice that she's not welcomed, but she keeps coming back, and grinning... with all those teeth and no yawning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know her all too well - thank you Magaly

      Delete
  20. Sleepless nights- wastelands... unsettling without a hand to hold...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another great use of images to create an anguished self... with the solution of hope from another.
    (Again, my personal interpretation of this interesting work)
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you as ever for your interpretation ZQ

      Delete
  22. This is so inward looking - perhaps it isn't confusion but perception from a different place. The closing line on this is exquisite ... its whisper is an echo. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the conclusion to this well composed journey.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your use of repetition in this.
    GREAT lines:
    "You are a curious creature indeed
    A stilted story"

    ReplyDelete
  25. Much said and much left unsaid...but felt. I always love to read your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like the way you bring your poem full circle....indeed sometimes it is hard to remember when one has slept the entire night! Blessings to you Jae, and I hope you ARE able to have restful sleep most nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary we do hope for a good nights sleep ;)

      Delete
  27. 'The loneliness of insomnia
    Wraps its arms around me'

    'Three am callings
    Trips and messages I can hear but cannot reach'

    Expressed beautifully. Nice composition. :)

    ReplyDelete