Wednesday, 9 July 2014

Guard

I wash 
The instruments of my work
In the sink
With the red
And the skin

Black magdalene afternoons

This is where he gets a little dusty
This is where I get a little eerie

In the first place I forgot 
In the second I tried to remember 

Trespass sings out in the middle of the night
You learn to run when the bombs stop falling

He could not have placed it any better
The powder falls like devils dust 
The clarity of 163

It's nothing
It's nothing
My eye pokes out the sky

I do not want to give you the stained cheque
Clean the mirror with my old sock
Make it shine
Clear as Jesus
Translucent in the water

Cold cut
Veins
Yellow painted on my head

My body may be tagged and buried
But I will never go between the white walls 
Not again

Hot
Cold
Travels up the brain

A little magic key
A little magic girl
Who writes herself in powders and in potions 

Tomorrow will be what it decides to be
We will keep guard of it
Ask for nothing more

Keep the instruments of our work clean

Black magdalene afternoons.

49 comments:

  1. Ah -- the magic key and the magic girl! (No surprise that Alice might have swallowed the key. Smiles.) And yes, tomorrow will be what it decides to be.....and as long as we remember that, there is hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed...I am glad she is trouble...wouldn't life be dull if the keys were hanging neatly by the door..thank you kindly Mary..happy Wednesday to you :)

      Delete
  2. Yikes! Amazing images! The "Black Magdalene afternoons" sent me to Google where I discovered haunting music in Oregon and was reminded of Joni Mitchell's song and the film "Philomena" about the The Magdalene Laundries. Add to that the 163 mosquito bombers and oh! Read in this light, death and destruction haunt the poem and the ones who didn't learn to run between the bombs, to run the alleyways and keyholes. Spoken by one who lived to talk about it, to guard the lanes and the history. My goodness, Jae Rose! Layer after layer open in this poem, depending on the key!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for taking such care in peeling back the layers Susan...it certainly seems to be word that unlocks many things...thank you for the key!

      Delete
  3. Hmm the one who holds the keys is the one to be watched. A powerful poem Jae Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think you're right Moonie...having the key the other person wants always throws in a little power play..thankfully we have nifty fingers! Thank you kindly

      Delete
  4. I agree we must avoid the white walls at all costs. They bleed out all of life's color and make us worse than before. Tomorrow will be what it decides to be, but we can decide the shape of today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ..don't want to pass that shape over to the white walls...they certainly block the path forward..thank you kindly Ann

      Delete
  5. Dear Rose what a beutiful poem... so fascinating in the image it creates!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. magic key, magic girl, portions and powder! It couldn't get any better :D but as you said, if there wasn't any hassle, life would be a little boring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Swathi..a little pause of boring is good to recuperate and get up and fighting again :)

      Delete
  7. Black Magdalene afternoons....better than between the white walls. Anything is better than that...never to be revisited.It scared me shitless and it wasn't even me...it was you!

    Ask for nothing more than tomorrow...and maybe a blue sky and a juicy orange. If this gives you a charge then you win. Woohoo! and if so, some people will want to destroy you because of it...yes, keep guard LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scared me shitless too Rallentanda...not that you can say it or show it...difference and spirit being something to be cured and all! Fuck being normal..how very dull..we will spin orange in the blue skies...thank you for joining us there..

      Delete
  8. you link some really cool images that would otherwise seem distant...and they play so well together...magical write throughout...the stanza toward the end on tomorrow...and us guarding it...def a fav....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Brian...I think distance can become a friend - like an internal district 9 - if you settle in and get comfy there..

      Delete
  9. I love the image of the little magic girl and the intriguing idea of black magdalene afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Sherry...I like her too...though maybe we would like a sunny morning better :)

      Delete
  10. I like the contrast of forgetting and remembering, and hot versus cold, & magical write in powders & potions ~ Enjoyed this one ~

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Grace - pleased you enjoyed

      Delete
  11. Lots of vivid imagery here, J. Some of it is very scary! Glad that tomorrow always holds the potential for good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit scary thank you Kim...looking forward to tomorrow..thank you...wishing you a good tomorrow too

      Delete
  12. loved the wisdom behind your lines..very nice Jae rose...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tomorrow will be what it decides to be
    We will keep guard of it
    Ask for nothing more 'except remembering there is hope for a bright future a happy future'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a very good thing to wish for thank you very much Sheilagh :)

      Delete
  14. So much sharp, clear, and breath-stealing imagery from powders to potions to the instruments of your work. You've got a strong undertow to your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Alice...if only it could be applied to the real world!

      Delete
  15. You never fail to amaze and impress your readers with such cutting imagery. There are many touching, telling lines in your poetry just too many to read between. You are a magic girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Old Egg - feel like the old lady I am mind ;)

      Delete
  16. I liked it. Such imagery holding me waiting until the end.

    ReplyDelete
  17. the world is still covered with 'devils dust' and the key is lost....what tomorrow is there?.. haunting lines...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is in parts - thank you very much Sumana

      Delete
  18. Forgetting and remembering what you forget is tiring and frustrating. Wish humans could never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe forgetting the bad things is for the best though! Thanks kindly Kalpana

      Delete
  19. Everybody is talking about your photos, but I can't see a thing.
    Is it me? Or were they fugitive :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photos? But yes..they will always be fugitives..thanks kindly jo-hanna

      Delete
  20. I just wish no guard in need for tomorrow, because everyone has unique key, ...dream! ~ inspiring poem, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too humbird...I think tomorrow is there for all of us..if we want it...

      Delete
  21. this was a fun, adventurous read. Not just a simple cleaning but a lot going on in the lines. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you James fun and adventure is good!

      Delete
  22. Tomorrow will be what it decides to be. But also what we decide it will be, to some extent, thankfully. A wonderfully complex write, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I guess it is a mix of both - thank you kindly J Cosmo..

      Delete
  23. Wow! Jae, what an impressive piece! But I wonder how much control tomorrow has, or it just like us, playing out the script already written….really loved it…even if some of it was a bit scary….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Annell..I kind of think it is already written too... Xo

      Delete
  24. My body may be tagged and buried
    But I will never go between the white walls
    Not again

    Experience certainly is a good teacher. Nicely Jae!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tough lessons but a good teacher! Thank you kindly Hank

      Delete