Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Boycott

It has been raining hot pennies
We wrap the sliver infinity loop around our wrist
Like a party balloon
She squeals
Claps her hands 
Now we can fly to the sky
Blancmange and jelly glistens in our shoes
I do not remember how we found the shoes
Or how we got outside

Everything is sweet and heavy when the powder rains
Nice though
Like cold pennies on hot thighs  

I am a magpie
She squeals
Rustling the paper bag
Scavenging scouring singing
It annoys me
But I will eat the candy she collects
Serve it on our demon plates
Eat it with our ascension spoons

When we eat
It tastes like poison
Nice though
Like lucky pennies in a pie 

I wash the eye lash down the sink

please please please

My final prayer seems so farcical 
Everything I dismiss boycott and need
Gifted to a drain

It has been raining hot pennies
We catch them like a gift

waiting waiting waiting

We don’t know what to do.

34 comments:

  1. For someone who doesn't know what to do you seem to having a whale of time. But that is life isn't it? We are so busy not doing what we want to do...which my guess it is to be free of rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Old Egg..i think there are rules - just poorly judged ones...we will figure it out though..eventually!

      Delete
  2. Perhaps that eyelash wish and drain is as good a means as any other that has been set adrift on wind or torrent. Pennies aren't lucky any more either. Yet as you show, life goes on and children are children until they are not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan..I guess sometimes we slip back into our frowns and petticoats but always time guess on - didn't know that about pennies either..maybe that explains a lot!

      Delete
  3. with a little bit of luck, we may make a difference...its not all candy and sweet desserts....and their taste does not mask the poison...just pennies a day...well, life seems to cost us a bit more...i guess if we are to make a difference...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pennies only take us so far I guess...like candy it bridges the hunger gap inside...thank you kindly Brian

      Delete
  4. Yeah, someone's freedom can be a prison for us...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Trying to learn fun...thanks very much Sheilagh

      Delete
  6. I love the pennies running through this poem. In Canada, we dont have them any more, sigh. Everything gets "rounded up" to a nickel. The price of inflation. I enjoyed this poem very much, one of my faves of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Sherry...i remember when i was in America that you could roll pennies...i also remember half-pennies here..they were a maths challenge...the world tends to round up and down the interesting things!

      Delete
  7. Hot pennies from demons, maybe? Let them fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall and walk away definitely thank you Alice...anyway by the time they hit our head they're cold... ;)

      Delete
  8. Sometimes it's okay to not know what to do. We aren't supposed to know everything. Just getting through the moment is enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so thank you Ann..and hoping that the next moment will be an improvement or at least not worse

      Delete
  9. Blancmange and jelly in your shoes? No wonder it tastes like poison. No offense meant but...really! The pennies help, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No offence taken J Cosmo - did i mention i was bananas! pennies are good though..thank you ;)

      Delete
  10. Jae Rose, the meaning of your poem eludes me but I think it means something more than just powder, pennies, jelly, and pie. because there is the mention of "poison." and so it must be deep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meanings elude me too James...but yes, as J Cosmo said the jelly and sweets are the silly topping on a reality i would rather evade...thank you kindly..

      Delete
  11. Demon plates and ascension spoons! Pennies from heaven? Whimsical, Jae. Love reading this side of you. I get all of it. And YOU were the first link on Poets United, you sly fox! Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dear Amy - you know I have to come first in something..not being fit, sporty or leaving the house and all ;) I know you understand those pennies and plates and spoons thank you xo

      Delete
  12. Very fun. I liked the magpie spot on in the description.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very surrealistic imagery! Not sure where we are going, but I like the ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steven...cliched but maybe it's about the ride not the destination! Well, that's what I kid myself with any way

      Delete
  14. very fanciful indeed... brilliant imagination!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Arushi...if forced I could also wire a plug ;)

      Delete
  15. strong voice and pace, and the repeating pennies loop us back into the speaker's vision. well done ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Poison! I have been injected with a huge dose of poison lately. I need to magpie squeal, rustle paper bags,pluck my eyelashes and wash them down the sink, smite down my enemies with stilleto heeled shoes filled with blancmange and jelly, attach them to party balloons and fire them from a cannon with hot pennies into the Antarctic...LOL
    now I feel better...Thanks Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't have put it better....glad you are feeling better Ms R...we have to keep flying to the moon and drinking tea and eating cakes...who knows what will happen if we don't xo thank you too

      Delete