Sunday, 26 January 2014

Gift

The best place 
Where things are to be found
Is where people sleep 
Squeals Alice
Licking her lips 
And tightening the buckles on her shoes
She has a plan
I can tell
She tucks a strand of blonde hair behind her ear
Push together the holes in your skin
She states
As if it’s normal
Any of this
The splinters are yesterday’s battle
Stored suspended sustained in flesh

We did not touch the apple
Not for a whole year
Curiously the poison grew stronger inside
We dreamt of it
Fondly as a summer house
One in the country
Where the sun shines through
Every aspect
And tries to embrace us
Like a mummy and a daddy
Though we still shiver inside

I don't understand why I'm awake
To peel pretty letters off your skin
Like writing a letter home
One that will never be sent
My insides juggle the poison
Facilitate blood air breath
For a while it is right
Then I hear her

Who said you are breathing
Who said this was real
You are wrapped up 
On the white bed
Where the sky came alive
Where I rescued you from love
And feeling
You need never open your eyes
All is done
All is passed

Will you come with me
To the bottom of time
Where all is dark
And soft like ashes
Will you come with me
And keep the dust from my head

She looks me in the eye
Of course not silly  
You can only go alone

I realise why she came
What gift she brings
She is the antidote
And the poison
Sweet like an apple
But rotten inside.

38 comments:

  1. Wow! Jae Rose - I was completely captivated from first buckle of shoe and tuck of a strand of hair behind an ear ... this is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Pearl..think I used more adjectives in this one than in the past five years!

      Delete
  2. Too bad we have to take a bite before we discover the apple is rotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed thank you Laurie..sometimes temptation leads you astray

      Delete
  3. Dark and soft like ashes is a wonderful description. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a gift that needs to be returned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only she came with a receipt..thank you Robyn..

      Delete
  5. Your poem packs a punch ...in every line! Wonderful storytelling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jae Rae,

    My first time ever here, I think? A powerful and brave piece for sure... I especially liked:

    "To the bottom of time
    Where all is dark
    And soft like ashes
    Will you come with me
    And keep the dust from my head..."

    I'll be back for more - thanks for this... Scott www.scotthastie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Scott..very glad you came along

      Delete
  7. Jae Rose, Love your "Alice" poems, and be sure you have done a fine job with some very difficult words. Especially the third stanza. Nice work.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Pamela..she crops up a lot..maybe she helps with writers block!

      Delete
  8. Ah, Jae, I think you have out done yourself. Awesome and fantastic! Life is the process of decay, of rotting. And somehow we all know that, perhaps even from conception. We must live each moment with that distorted echoed whisper of a wish that someone will come and keep the dust from our heads. I bow to you but then you'd have to come and help me get back up again,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need for bowing Elizabeth the only kind of queen we may be is a dramatic one..thank you.. funny how the ones you think are awful and difficult people seem to find something in..a little like Alice I guess..we are courtesying back ;)

      Delete
  9. I do like it when your muse takes you by the hand and leads you down roads like this one. The catalyst is Alice of course she shows you the way but you take the steps and produce such vivid prose as this. Well done Jae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Old Egg combined I think we make for a bit of a lexical car crash..heaven only knows how that translates into real life..I suspect fuck and up feature quite a lot!

      Delete
  10. I love this, especially this part:

    I realise why she came
    What gift she brings
    She is the antidote
    And the poison
    Sweet like an apple
    But rotten inside.

    A lot of people strike me as being like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately you're probably right though there are some good apples..if you pick carefully..thank you very much Belva..

      Delete
  11. amazing how the flesh lives moment by moment and the inevitable flesh dies hard... so sweet the apple yes... it can be lonely... a beauty of a story i can reach out and touch...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the sweetest apples are probably over in a flash..lonely yes..glad you came along and picked up this one..thank you kindly Ms pie..

      Delete
  12. We are all encounters in each other life, we are like gifts picked up by others to learn about life, our purpose and mission. ~ Love your images apple-summer house....'To peel pretty letters off your skin
    Like writing a letter home'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only there was a home..then the letter may not need to be written..but yes everything is fleeting..although some gifts leave behind a legacy..good or bad..thank you humbird..

      Delete
  13. Yes, there are places we can only go alone. Not all are where we should go, though. I would go for the antidote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed..some doors may look inviting but rarely lead to a summer house and a welcoming hug..we will keep the antidote to hand..thank you Ann

      Delete
  14. The last verse got a laugh! I think I know that girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay - laugh..she is a common creature for sure..thank you J Cosmo

      Delete
  15. She is the antidote
    And the poison
    Sweet like an apple
    But rotten inside.

    This is reminiscent of many instances of people one meets. It cannot be certain of intentions but as long as the consequences are not material it is not too bad! Nicely Jae!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consequences are inevitable if you leave the house - or let people in! Very true though Hank..thank you very much

      Delete
  16. This is just gorgeous:
    "I don't understand why I'm awake
    To peel pretty letters off your skin
    Like writing a letter home"

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too am a fan of Alice and have written about her and the mirror many times.
    You might enjoy this (at my blogspot place):
    http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2013/04/curiouser-and-curiouser-miz-q-21.html

    Only for when you have time...Thanks for your visit and kind words. ~Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly pay a visit..thank you for visiting and commenting too..much appreciated

      Delete
  18. Well regarding the apple, dear J, you lasted longer than Eve anyway, and none of it’s real, not your, not my reality anyway, truly all is done and passed…rotten apples, yes, I know about those…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would even have waited for the snake had I been stuck in paradise..too boring..maybe we should make apple sauce..thank you dear Miss A..

      Delete
  19. So many beautiful images, but something dark suggested....sometimes it is hard to name the frightening things? But when we do, we take their power away.oxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..it takes courage to finally name them and slay them..hopefully soon.. xx

      Delete