Wednesday, 29 June 2011
The Story at Her Feet
It is this place inside. The one with the candles. That pins the prayer card to the wall. Crust of blood by crust of blood I am glued together. The milk in the grocery bag bumps my leg. I sit and watch her. The flame is not safe by her feet. It may catch the flowers alight. But it is not a place where you can change the order of divinity. You must sit if not transfixed inert. You must not question the order of silence. There is so much that I don’t remember and too much that I do. Missing chunks of time that I no longer own but which possess me. Walking from the garage to the house with a little radio. Rubbing my knuckles on the wall. Wishing I could live in the tyres and the smell of petrol. There has always been fire in this story. Crust of blood by crust of blood I am glued together. The flesh of my time sits in a file of letters waiting to be turned to ash. Ash that I will mix with stoup water and pass over my head. A new powder to drip through my hair fall on the page mix with ink become the story at her feet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The repeated "crust" line is so powerful! And I love the image of the ash mixing with ink becoming her story! As always, your words forced me to slow down and savor every line.
ReplyDeleteThank you Linda...very kind..Jae
ReplyDeleteto unravel,,,would that weaken the lanyard?,,still the mystery of where the words come from,,,
ReplyDeleteRight in the middle lies the crux... "There is so much that I don’t remember and too much that I do. Missing chunks of time that I no longer own but which possess me."
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely love every single line. It is great. Thank you. My 3WW: http://verseinanutshell.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/next/
ReplyDeleteSheilagh Lee said: Your imagery is so spectacular, you string it all together like beautiful prose.Amazing as always your work leaves me thinking I have read a master of writing.
ReplyDeleteWell, they do say all you have to do to be an author is open a vein.
ReplyDeleteOr get stronger maybe Glenn? Like ropes..you have to take away the frayed thread and start plaiting again..
ReplyDeleteWell spotted (as always) Thanks Kim..
Thank you 'verseinanutshell'
An apprentice maybe..thank you Sheilagh..
I hadn't heard that one Alice..maybe we can start with opening up a Bic Biro? ;)
Jae
Jaerose~ Many powerful lines and strong images. I especially like:
ReplyDeleteYou must not question the order of silence.
Thank you Laurie..I wonder if silent orders of monks and nuns do? If it's one of those things like 'I mustn't think about the chocolate in the fridge'..once you think it, it's there for good..
ReplyDelete"Ash that I will mix with stoup water and pass over my head. A new powder to drip through my hair fall on the page mix with ink become the story at her feet."
ReplyDeleteThis is such a powerful and moving image Jae, I can just see her baptizing herself and being reborn in her writing. Gorgeous, simply gorgeous.
Remembering too much, the flame not safe at her feet and the story being at her feet. A lot of images that will stay in my mind turning over in different layers. I really like all the layers you write in, by that I mean, all the different layers in your writing.
ReplyDeleteThank you. You always make me think, long after I've read what you wrote. I appreciate that.
"You must not question the order of silence. There is so much that I don’t remember and too much that I do. Missing chunks of time that I no longer own but which possess me." This part really spoke to me. I enjoy your poetry so much and I think I learn from each one I read.
ReplyDeleteLove the repetition too, especially the meaning behind it.
ReplyDeleteI will not slavishly repeat what has already been said in the comments, but I agree with all of them. Let me say that I love and appreciate the block paragraph, prose style you are writing in now - it really suits what you have to say.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this great post.
It is like a sacred chant, or lament. Really beautiful, almost another time and place. Or, just the right place, seaside town, I love what you have written, still mysterious, as if you are trying to fill in the blanks, and yet only becomes more mysterious. Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThank you VL - baptism of fire ;)
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your comments..thanks Kwee..
That's very kind..thanks Nara..
Thank you Christine..
Thanks Altonian..I am enjoying the paragraph too..if nothing else it looks tidy..
You found the town in me..thank you Annell ;)
Jae
There is so much that I don’t remember and too much that I do..
ReplyDeletea well crafted line and compact and tight piece jr..nicely done
Thank you very much Michael..JR
ReplyDelete"Missing chunks of time that I no longer own but which possess me"
ReplyDeleteThat line is hitting me hard. I've been doing a lot of reflection lately and I've had to say out loud that I'm letting it go.
Awesome piece of work as always. I'm going to start looking up new words in my thesaurus since I'm running out of compliments for you :)
"Missing chunks of time I no longer own..." Another dark, uniquely disturbing piece from you. I, too, am running out of adjectives. You are what we call "a oner." No one else writes like Jae Rose. Love, Amy
ReplyDeleteHi Ren - I am glad you are letting moments go..particularly with a little volume.. ;)
ReplyDeleteThank you Amy..let's hope there is only one of me out there!
Jae
I like the part about "missing chunks of time." I tend to be a bit obsessed about time and I find the missing pieces truly troubling.
ReplyDeleteThey can be be can't they Ann..ten times worse than losing your keys..
ReplyDeleteEveryone loves the way you write and praise you for your words and the imagery that strikes a chord with them. Am I the only one to want to hold your hand and whisper comforting words to you, to take away the pain and show you that life can be beautiful again?
ReplyDelete