Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Erratic and Unpredictable

Erratic and unpredictable
I kept the page
Took a picture
The chaos patterns are clear as spiders chasing me never stopping never shaking off fingers sticky and relentless like a eucharist every day at 10 but no amen.
Ringing up in my head the till a total a calculation
My shopping does not register an omen of sorts bananas crackers nuts
I shake the hand of another man
I know in three days I will regret it but the days empty out like disposable names I have to catch them in somebody’s hands I keep his handshake don’t wash it off let it carry on my food my coffee my face I try to find the words in my shoes like the holes will heal the light stop shining through me luminous terrifying as the 3am gunshots
The people who summed me up are gone now I fracture myself rip myself into tiny pieces and glue me to a page no name fits as it should no letter illuminates the picture
You can make anything a reality
But I am always the missed phone call the missed doorbell the missed opportunity
I would like to lick up the webs pin myself down
Erratic and unpredictable
But I know it was not true
All I am is plans accomplished liar consummate cheat a calculation of letters and words carefully balanced so the calls don’t get through and the doors stay unanswered. I am invisible like my shopping. An empty bag paid for not with money or kind. I would trade it all for Amen. Four letters. One word. A hand to shake the light and keep me from the dirt.

25 comments:

  1. The way your string words together to bring out certain emotions is simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The web that is woven here looks erratic and unpredictable, yet the spider always has an idea in mind and does what it needs to so it can feed. This web does just that and more, the juicy tendrils are too hard to resist; thus ensnaring another reader. Great work Jae, love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But I am always the missed phone call the missed doorbell the missed opportunity"

    This is the saddest line ever and would make a poignant poem all by itself--a world of feeling in those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much Thom..

    Absolutely Leiffy ;) Hopefully it's the trap of a 'nice' spider though...not a Black Widow..

    Thank you Lilibeth..it would be a good challenge to keep the story to a couple of sentences..

    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  5. What brilliant words. Love the phrase "disposable names". True of me - I'm terrible with names.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheilagh Lee said the rich tapestry of emotions you feel so deeply by reading you works is amazing.Your writing is exceptional and todays is no exception.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unanswered phones; unopened doors; I pray for the time when you tell us you have said "Hi! Hello, and welcome."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Isabel..

    Thank you Andy - hope you check back - I tried to leave a comment on your post yesterday but blogger kept logging me back out..I loved your piece..

    Thank you very much Sheilagh..always good to hear from you..

    Hello Altonian! and welcome back..virtually is a start.. ;)

    Thank you Mary

    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it is hard to "hang" with that person that is you. Sometimes it is hard to lift our eyes.... stunning you have captured it perfectly. Bravo and amen! You have what is needed, you have it all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. But maybe don't know it yet ;) thank you Annell..Jae

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohyeah. Reminds me of film noir.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. This left me in tears. I love it! I love when poems bring out the emotions of a reader. My 3WW: http://verseinanutshell.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/dare/

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's something so aching in this piece. " . . .rip myself into tiny pieces and glue me to a page no name fits as it should no letter illuminates the picture"

    How sad to think she's lacking an identity. The word "amen" means "to beleive"; is she looking for someone to acknowledge her and give her some sort of validity? (I always think your poems have a distinctly feminine personality).
    Beautifully done as always Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great images all the way through!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have read this four times and find something new every time! It makes you run through fast slinging things as you go. I like how you have bookended it with erratic and needing the amen. Between though there are piles of jewels. Bananas, crackers, nuts made me laugh and there is humor but kind of dark. The ending looking for salvation of some kind - anything. Some of it is so painful - the people who summed me up are gone now I fracture myself into tiny pieces and glue me to a page. That makes me think of you - giving the reader glimpses but arranged in ways only you understand.

    We are all accomplished liars and consummate cheaters.

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Shauna..

    Thank you very much 'verse'..very kind..

    Thank you VL..I hadn't thought how gender specific these little pieces were..it's good to know I'm a real girl! Yes acknowledgment and validity..they are at the root of all j's prayers..

    Thank you very much Andy..

    Thanks Chris..

    Thank you Dee..you always manage to step back and see the bigger picture whilst I get stuck in the glue..Amen to you too..

    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  17. You take me back to my college days when most of my friends were just like this. Me, not so much. I was busy being a good student for an education that went no where.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Alice..but it did go somewhere..to Suzie's House..at the very least..being young should be about learning good things- not wallowing in the gloom - I don't even have the excuse of being young either..Thanks for stopping by..Jae ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hate spiders. Recovering now from spider bite, not fun, BUT, your skill allowd me to overlook my distaste for spiders and enjoy your super poetic talent.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love spiders events, bless you, get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a thrill to land on your amazing poetry land.
    Cheers.
    Come sharing your poetry with us today,
    First time participants are welcome sharing 1 to 3 random poems or poems unrelated to our theme.

    Blessings.
    Hope to see you linked in.
    Happy Tuesday!
    Hugs.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete