He holds me
As much as bones can hold you
As much as nothing can fulfil you
It is the first touch the last touch the only touch left
I ask the little girl if they are going to do it now
She turns in her chair and says yes
The bullet comes and my head turns black.
I delete all my names
Finish the story. Cut up the trail.
Put my hands through blonde curls. Girl hair.
The sickness fades when you top it up with sickness
It keeps the bullet from the gun
It keeps you in the chair in the mirror in your eyes where you can see hills things lost places receding little girl dying but breathing in the darkness
regretfully necessarily
powder dust and rotting onions
Alice mixed with Felder in the stoup
No fingers to wipe the ashes on my head.
I thank the man of bones
I know my place in this tower of fools
I pull my hair up close the window draw the bridge
Petals of J falling
Flocking the ground like porridge and jam
Not an ending but a falling
not hard not soft just right.
Jae could this be a recipe? Like a recipe for happiness or something? In the ending you say it is perfect, or "just right." No matter what is going on, it is "just right." And is a "falling" a little like a stumble? I'm going to look at "falling petals," as what is not needed falling away. And we feel safe when "we know our place? Now this tower of fool? Is it that the writer can see that those around her are fools? "The man of bones" is he like the woman bone collector?This piece is full of riddles. Sometimes when I read it backwards I understand....
ReplyDeleteI am not sure of the meaning either but its mesmerizing. Stunning writing and its very intense. Wonderful
ReplyDeleteHi Annell..I guess you find the bowl of porridge that's right for you ;) the meaning..different for every bear that comes to the table..
ReplyDeleteThank you mindlovemisery..
Jae
I am stumped I give up!I really enjoy it when we can interpret a poem in different ways
ReplyDeleteMy interpretation
1.Somebody is getting shot
2.There is a Rapunzel- type girl with long hair on top of a tower.
My brain stopped here defeated, the rest just went over my head. Please Don't mind it--I just tried reading it from right to left too!Will try somemore later.
Hi Butterflies..no need to understand (I think you have it anyway!)..just glad for your visit..
ReplyDeleteYou continue to mystify and un-nerve me with your dark imagery.
ReplyDeleteThank you Altonian..good to be able to reply..less nerve inducing..jae
ReplyDeletePetals of J. Now this is a spin-off I'd like to see. The dark bullet, the one that erases everything but doesn't kill. Filled with some great imagery here (but then, I expect it now, I think you spoiled me Jae!) and I know you'll continue to wow us with this slice of darkness. Thanks for sharing as always, now its time to play catch up (one again... *sigh*)
ReplyDeleteI love how everyone interpretes it different... you are a very good poet, Jaerose; captivating and thought-provoking.
ReplyDeleteStrong imagery (though the "story", if there is one, manages to elude me).
ReplyDeleteSomebody is picking up the petals and reassembling them with love. They are beautiful. They blossom again and all the hurt in the past is gone. Now somebody is holding her hand and taking her away from the past and showing her a bright and happy future. She is happy again.I can hear her laughing. She is laughing with the old man who dreams dreams.
ReplyDeleteA tragic event seems fairytale like. It might not be your intent, but such is art and what it spoke to me. Great words, lines, interest.
ReplyDeleteLike several dreams (nightmares?) chinked together in wonderfully rhythmic verse.
ReplyDeleteThank you Leiffy..maybe we should both try a petals story..no gore..or crazy ladies..I wonder were it would take us.. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Laurie..
Thanks James..
Thank you Old Egg..for the reassembly..(and hand)...
Thank you very much Henry..
Thanks Kate - 'chinked' is a great word..rattling chains of bad dreams..
Jae
Beautiful writing and its so intense! Love it!
ReplyDeleteBullying Poems
Jae, I was unsettled by this poem. That's a good thing. Your writing in particular has the power to move me to tears, to make me worry, to rejoice when the porridge turns out or when the landing is just right.
ReplyDeleteI love your work. Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/05/30/twilight-ablaze/
Thank you Marinela..
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you so Amy..it's not easy finding the 'right' bed or porridge is it..thanks for joining me in the search..
Jae
I get a picture of Marie Antoinette or Jezebel, looking out the window, facing the guillotine or Jehu...
ReplyDeleteDefinitely a Jezebel! Thanks Lilibeth ;)
ReplyDelete