The bag of hearts is so old it disintegrates in my hand.
I was saving it for a special time but that disintegrated too.
I brush it up. With the powder and dust.
The white pages of the new notebooks are yellowed and worn. There are no words in them. Maybe my thoughts wore them out.
I write options in a scrapbook. Tear them up. Slice through the pages like claws through bark. As if slicing them up will destroy them. The scrapbook inside can never be torn. Time. Place. Action. It records year after year. Relentless and pointless. Like Ticker tape.
To have a list is to determine the action. Thick black ticks sit on the chair. On the paper. Things to buy. Things to do. The order of events. Taking a chance to within an inch of accuracy. It is a paradox. To scream. Let me be nothing. I imagine the time when my nothingness is scrubbed from the kitchen floor. By a man in his twenties who wears white and two pairs of rubber gloves.
A hazard.
J is not Jae is not Jacob.
It is not J who goes to the room and sits in the chair. J is hidden in ink on the wall. She does not come in. Absence is not recorded until something has been missed.
My prayer card has been pinned to the middle of the board. It seems only I visit and look. I guess I have to answer it. My own prayer. Unless Jesus sneaks in with Alice when the door is locked and the stoup is empty.
I await their reply with afternoon tea.
My tape mixes up with confetti. I walk by as they shout one, two, three. The picture is taken. The cake sliced. Imagine that. To rest on the edge of an occasion.
Just imagine. A day where a picture turns you into something new. But not a hazard.
Just imagine. No lists. No thick black ticks. No desire to buy boxes and bags.
Just imagine. A bag of hearts new and rosy. Used before you crumble into dust.
Powerful. Gave me lots of imagining to do.
ReplyDeleteThanks Niebla..glad you stopped by..
ReplyDelete"Absence is not recorded until something is missed" - What a line! How many times have we said to ourselves, or others: "I wish I had done or said more when he or she was still with us?" It's the old 'moving finger' syndrome, isn't it. Wonderfully powerful Jae.
ReplyDeleteHappy May Day!
Thanks Tulika..
ReplyDeleteThank you Altonian - 'moving finger' syndrome -love that! Happy May Day back..only marginally registered a new month on the old blog entry list..thanks..always good to know what day it is ;)
Strong, sharp and vivid - gives us so much to think about!
ReplyDeleteJust Imagine ... powerfully written as always.
ReplyDeleteLoved the stock references. :)
ReplyDeleteIsn't it strange there are parts of your writing that is beautiful and emotive and others like the thick black ticks that appear like Vlad the impaler on the line! However the bag of hearts was beautiful and reminded me of my children buying the sugary 'love hearts' each inscribed with an endearment "kiss me" or "love" or some other warm word of affection. I too have been hidden in the ink on the wall, the dust in the corner, and somehow feel safe, hiding.
ReplyDeleteThank you Stan..
ReplyDeleteThanks as always Deborah..
Thanks Amanda..
Thank you OldEgg..yes, it can be safer to hide..you get a bird's eye view that's for sure..I remember 'love hearts'..I think they come in tubes these days..did you ever try parma violets as well? Vlad the impaler made me chuckle too..
Jae
dust moves quickly =)
ReplyDeletegreat poem
Jae,
ReplyDeleteSeize the day or wave goodbye.
Old truths and new verses.
Well done!
rel
J is just incredible. Powerful images and pulls up so many memories and feelings. You have set my thoughts to thrumming, like strings on a tightly wound instrument. I forgot, you make me remember so much, and so filled with meaning. Thank you,
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
Good point Lucy - shall remember that one..thanks..
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Rel..
Thank you so Elizabeth..what a great compliment..I hope the noise turns out to be a fine tune..
Jae
Just imagine indeed, you never know what happens when you can just let it all go and focus. Then again, with the world, the gods and even your ego working against you, this can be a pipe dream at best at times. Another great work, I noticed a little more words in your paragraphs. Gave it the nice, meaty feeling when I read it. Great work as always Jae! I promise I'll catch up again heh
ReplyDeleteThanks Leiffy - yes, am trying to add a few more words to fill out the old J sandwiches..always good to hear from you..Jae
ReplyDeleteThis is a wonderful piece of writing. So much depth and story hidden and visible at the same time - if you only care to look...
ReplyDeleteI am glad you looked..thank you Jae
ReplyDeletehearts - not just broken, but completely disintegrated, even the container that held them - now swept up and gone.
ReplyDeleteClean slates, waiting for thoughts and dreams, never spoken..
Options...I am a compulsive list maker. Unfortunately I am also a list loser...But those ticks...the things we think are important at the moment. They really are relentless sometimes... There is supposed to be action for each of them but then the paradox is that the list is supposed to make things go more smoothly for you when in reality you then seem t be controlled by the list...
Hidden in ink on the wall - I have been thinking a lot lately, being in a community on AllPoetry, you start to feel as though you know the people you interact with when you really don't know each other at all. It is an odd feeling to know that we put our words out there and have no idea really, who is reading them and how they perceive us. It seems to be a very intimate thing and yet completely random and strange.
I would say a prayer for you - in fact I do. I think Jesus sneaks in all kinds of places (even when we think the stoup is empty!) I hope you get a reply that is meaningful to you.
A day of renewal - with cake and hearts all shiny and whole. I can imagine that :)
What a beautiful, thoughtful piece. I love your references to lists and ticks, I can't live without them....and the just imagine verse is a magical image to leave us with xx
ReplyDeleteThank you Dee..it is strange meeting people on these sites..I could probably never write/say these things face to face..there is definitely comfort in sharing and writing anonymously..it takes what you want to say into a whole new dimension..I like the fact that people can choose to read or not..makes me feel less demanding as a person..I wonder sometimes how our little community would get along if we did ever meet..maybe we chose to communicate in this way because it would be a remote possibility? I am always glad to hear from you (and my other regular visitors) and I do feel a sense of belonging..virtual friendship even..back to the business at hand..lists can be a fantastic thing..how could we ever make those renewal cakes if we didn't make a list of ingredients..thank you for your kind thoughts (I think he sneaks in too)..Jae
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Cynthia..glad it ended on a good note for you..Jae :)
Wow, I really like, "Slice through the pages like claws through bark" You've written an excellent description of the agony of lost hope. Well done!
ReplyDeletecreative.
ReplyDeletebless your weekend.
Best lines are the hazard ones, say I in my nothingness. But resting on the edge of an occasion, oh that screwed me up blissfully into the dream, the monster, of somethingness! Oh to be ever on the edge of a glorious occasion…
ReplyDeleteWilliam Burroughs wrote in an essay, “You cannot get away with an indescribable monster.” He’s talking film at this point but goes on to apply it to writing, “The ability to think in concrete visual terms is almost essential to a writer. Generally speaking if he can’t see it, hear it, feel it, smell it, he can’t write it.”
You splay out the monster of self vividly to the beauteous core!
This bit~
ReplyDelete"The scrapbook inside can never be torn. Time. Place. Action. It records year after year. Relentless and pointless. Like Ticker tape."
provokes deep thought. Internal scrapbooks, compiling themselves, keeping pace, like a universal consciousness, an unending memory... the idea is fascinating. And then I think, it simply has to be, I'm certain.
Quite a read, here, Jae!
Thank you Gloria..good to see you..
ReplyDeleteThank you Jingle..
Thank you Zanzinece..Ah, Uncle Bill..he sits right here beside me..a black and white photo..'He has seen enough time pass'..he certainly turned torment into words..I did a little piece..Faith..August 2010..A small nod to him...thanks so much for your comment..meant a lot..
Thank you Kim..one giant scarpbook of ideas..I guess we all compile things from memories of other people..as well as ourselves..TV shows..the layout of supermarkets..it all gets a page..and maybe it is universal..I bet I could find the beans in your local supermarket as quickly as the one next door..the code is written within us..dizzy with flu..mind the ramble as you alight!
Jae
A poem so rich in language and emotion.
ReplyDeleteBrava,
JanePoet~deborah
Thank you Deborah...
ReplyDeleteJae, there is so much in code in this poem, so much personal, intense detail, that I read it twice. Your work is not only interesting, it's bound to make me think about how I'm living, what I'm hiding... I am so often blown away by the abstract within the poems... Amy
ReplyDeletehttp://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/05/07/powerful-urge/
Thank you Amy..yes, abstracted suits how it feels on this side of the pencil too..
ReplyDelete