I remember the snow, how it packed my knees like ice cream in the freezer
Something delicious but fleeting
I imagine the flavours - chocolate, strawberry and vanilla
Your kiss melting, my world collapsing - I lost everything to the snow - I lost you
Perhaps that is why I fear falling - the extra bruises and shame
What if I had been different, what if we had seen each others vulnerabilities
Just as snow melts, turns to spring and heat there is no going back - no changing things
Things can only be written and made as they are - as they will be
The why’s and maybes lost like snowflakes -
Everyone a little different as they fall to the ground
I still do not fully understand why you chose to leave, not even after all these years
I do not understand why I loved you -
You did not treat me well and I was too young to know what love meant
I remember the snow - the cold and bracing breaths
The gritters driving on the street in the early hours underneath my window
Making things safe in the land of my dreams -
Maybe I was happy that I made it there at all
It was a fleeting place, a flurry, and one I did not treasure quite enough at all
All to soon beautiful and then melting.
A poignant write pondering relationship...i especially admire: "The why’s and maybes lost like snowflakes. Everyone a little different as they fall to the ground".
ReplyDeleteThat anonymous comment was from me, lynn :)
ReplyDeleteYour poem reads like a huge snow drift .. deep, a little scary and thought provoking for both writer and reader. I loved it, Jae.
ReplyDelete"All too soon beautiful and then melting." Beautiful. I have memories like this too.
ReplyDeleteJae, I can relate to the endless plowing through the questions on what happened and why it didn't last. It seems like you've figured some of it out. Some of it may have no answers...
ReplyDeleteA stunning exploration of snow and relationships, Jae. I love the simile ‘it packed my knees like ice cream in the freezer / Something delicious but fleeting’, and these lines resonate with me:
ReplyDelete‘Things can only be written and made as they are - as they will be
The why’s and maybes lost like snowflakes -
Everyone a little different as they fall to the ground’
and
‘It was a fleeting place, a flurry, and one I did not treasure quite enough at all
All to soon beautiful and then melting.’
I have to say that we have made snow into something that is something that stops our "normal" life... snow should be part of something you live with.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous write Jae ❤️❤️
ReplyDeleteLoved the direction you took with this prompt. Great poem.
ReplyDeleteI can definitely relate to the ephemeral natures of relationships here. Beautiful!
ReplyDelete"Everyone a little different as they fall to the ground" indeed! 👏
ReplyDelete