Prison Blues
https://dversepoets.com/2026/01/13/folsom-prison-blues/
I have been locked in prisons inside and out for too many years
Not seeing sunshine or the sounds of trains moving on
Losing my way and my dreams
Perhaps it taught me how to write -
To find my own rail tracks and chug-chug-chug along -
Own way, own pace, own destination
I remember feeling so sad being trapped in with other people
And so terribly alone - I craved privacy - and respect
I had done nothing wrong - I was sick and confused - not bad
I did not deserve the punishment they defined as care
But whatever happened to me, in spite of the keepers, I kept myself alive
And wherever I was locked up, I melted the bars with my mind.
Bravo how sad but how brave
ReplyDeleteThanks for dropping by my blog Jae
🎇much love
We have good hospitals for treating mental illness and yet my loved ones who stayed there (different times & places) felt imprisoned and vowed to never go back.
ReplyDeleteJae, sometimes I think inpatient treatment facilities are woefully inadequate to meet the needs of those who go there. It seems there's always enough money for wars but never enough for healing those in need.
ReplyDeleteI especially love that last line, Jae. Powerful.
ReplyDeleteWell this is a good, brave, strong piece.
ReplyDeleteGetting out in the end is what matters most... but I am wondering why it's so hard to find the right treatment.
ReplyDeleteExcellent!
ReplyDeleteWell done. I love your closing lines.
ReplyDeleteI particularly love your concluding clause! And totally applaud you for finding your survival and freedom against enormous odds.
ReplyDeleteI have been reading your poetry for probably a decade++, you never cease to amaze. For a long time I was thoroughly intimidated by your skill, simply didn't have the courage to leave a comment. This line "and wherever I was locked up, I melted the bars with my mind" ~ yes, yes, Jae.
ReplyDeleteWell done, Jae. I love your last line.
ReplyDelete