Tuesday, 16 October 2018

Afternoon

We spend lazy afternoons lying still on the bed
If we don't move nothing bad will happen
It is hot
We take sips of peppermint tea
Crush the ice between our teeth
The leaves have fallen off the tree
They make a fragile carpet we tip toe through
Silent
Observed
Always waiting for him
The Red Queen took me in her arms
Told me to smile
I look in the mirror
Try to
What looks back is both familiar and new
A shock of scars
And wasted afternoons.

6 comments:

  1. I'm getting a feeling of a little remorseful thought throughout a lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first 2 lines really got me. The idea of lying still so nothing will happen. Great , as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you a crunchy leaf-walk and enough fall beauty to make you smile, my friend. It is golden autumn here too, the leal colour is spectacular. I like the fragile carpet of leaves you tiptoe hrough in your poem. I love that line!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some afternoons are like that. I can relate to the idea of if we do not move nothing bad will happen This is somber yet beautiful Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'If we don't move nothing bad will happen'. Instead, the poem happened – though perhaps not just then – so those afternoons were not wasted after all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand how lying still gives hope that nothing bad will happen.
    Old thing that I am, I delayed writing a will until two years ago, worrying (before) that if I did, I would tempt fate. Luckily, I am still here!
    I love your words Jae.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete