Sunday, 18 February 2018

Strong

We measure out the powder one by one
The hunger is boundless
Like sound in a tin cup
Pressed to a grubby ear
We might not know love
We are all wrong
The strength of one moulded into two
What makes us rich
We might not know
There is an urge
A memory to trace
A time when we shouted and fought
Now we seem powerless
I miss that voice
It carried on the wind
Urged me on
Now this madness goes beyond measurement
Long in length
Endless
She sends me a message to follow
I hold onto it like candle wax
It drips down my fingers and makes them strong.

40 comments:

  1. How poignant this writing is Jae. Nothing can be as bad as not to know love. Often we need just a little encouragement to feel strong again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hold on to it like candle wax.. such a poignant image.. beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The hunger is boundless
    Like sound in a tin cup"

    such emptiness - hold fast to the wax

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hold fast to that strength wherever it comes from my friend.....I finally am regaining mine and tending to it so it is not lost again! Big hugs coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candle wax is so tenuous, but perhaps your grip is better than mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's luck not strength - thanks Magical

      Delete
  6. I love the message to follow and how it drips down your fingers like candle wax making them strong. You write so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That message in the candle wax is such a powerful image. There's a burning in the initial contact and a struggle to contain it before it runs off. But patience takes us past the pain, and to the moment when the wax's movement slows so it can be grasped. Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First there is the recipe, the plan all mapped out. Hunger, desire can be boundless, how to satisfy? To receive the message is a good thing on most days. Maddness is hard to measure...and does seem endless, perhaps it is not maddness at all...whatever makes us strong...be it candle wax, or sailing ships. I enjoyed reading this writing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughtful comment Annell

      Delete
  9. The poem resonates so well: pain endurance acceptance.
    Happy Sunday Jae

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel that strength can only grow from company... (the right one)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What differences to the mental image one word can make! Things like the 'grubby' attached to the ear pressed to the tin cup.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another intriguing piece.
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  13. A time when we shouted and fought
    Now we seem powerless
    I miss that voice

    Things may be stormy but it sustains. That is love!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the image that you created of strength - with the wax from a candle on fingers. Very impactful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Self love is the most important one to know in spite of the madness, the sadness it can make us strong.
    Beautiful writing Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that image of sound in a tin cup is so strong. it points to emptiness, but it can also points to curiosity.
    this poem sounds sad, but also hopeful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The ending image/feeling with candle wax resonates. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your beautiful words are abounding with wonderful imagery Jae. I can imagine how you would miss that voice, that strong voice that enabled you to shout and fight, giving you strength.
    I am glad her message made you strong again. Many hugs.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the idea of having a message to follow, not just to read.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It must be so hard sometimes to know which is the best way. But yes, I think following that message must be the better choice.

    ReplyDelete