Tuesday, 1 August 2017

Trafficked

They hustle our body into the bag
It aches in here and our clothes stick to the sweat on our back
It's all so much effort with little reward
No sugar or spice
Still time for powder
We sneak it in
Up and down the hill we travel
Exhausted dirty foul
They may own our body but they cannot dispossess our soul
It waits quietly in the six by six room
We will bide our time with the dignity they removed
Wrap it around our shoulders like a cool blanket on a summers afternoon
Are we still human
Alice croaks
Yes, little cricket
I do believe we are.

52 comments:

  1. Oh good lord... "Alice croaks." This is awful, well-wrought but sooo awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this hurts my heart, my friend. "Are we still human?...Yes, I do believe we are." Yes, you are. I love the wrapping of dignity around your shoulders and that they cant dispossess your soul. That is a strong spirit, kiddo. I like the starkness of your title, and empathize with how you feel. Hang on. One day at a time. Sometimes one hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so Sherry - you are part of that cool blanket

      Delete
  3. Your dignity remains installed between your ears.No matter what they do to you they can never take your soul. I'm religious so I believe your soul will soar and your torturers will rot suffering in hell.Sorry ...I can get carried away sometimes:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blow softly and gently upon that tiny ember. Keep it burning.Keep sneaking the powder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They may own our body but they cannot dispossess our soul...

    These are the words of a survivor, such a powerful statement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. They can take your body but not your soul, not the you that is you. Yes little cricket...I love those closing lines. Yes, you are still human and still worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is strong, gritty stuff. Thanks for the read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot keep from thinking of ourbU.S. Senator John McCain when he withstood the totrue while he was a P.O.W. I am glad that he could have revenge against our sadist new leader via his disproving vote for our prospective new national health law.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Alice takes it all one step further.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How often in our lives to we feel we are out of control. Your mesmerising account of Alice and you enduring this is heartbreaking as you seek to comfort each other. Your poetry is so graphic and such great depth Jae...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chilling.. but I do love the glimmer of positivity in the end.. the unconquered soul.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe so too, very much so! But oh, how vividly you convey the claustrophobic, smothering feeling of being trafficked. I'm glad you know the dignity, too, cannot really be removed (only superficially).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope to keep ourselves intact - thank you kindly Rosemary

      Delete
  13. Very powerful and heart wrenching. A very visual poem and words of the survival of ones spirit when everything is taken from them. Great poem. I love the sweet "yes little cricket"

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a seriously sad image...you have written it so well...I felt suffocated....may nobody go through this... God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, oh, OH! Every word stings, but especially, for me, the bravery of hope: "We will bide our time with the dignity they removed
    Wrap it around our shoulders like a cool blanket on a summers afternoon" Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chilling, just as the issue of human trafficking should be. But its heartbreaking when Alice croaks. Thank God soul cannot be conquered, love this bit of light in spite of all darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The horror and the pain... Than, that powerful reminder in the end. Thank for that. For we need to remember...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though it's hard yes it must be remembered - thank you Magaly

      Delete
  18. They may own our body but they cannot dispossess our soul....this line really brings home the spirit of survival.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "They may own our body but they cannot dispossess our soul"

    I love the resilience in that line. On such a subject that is alienating, the words breathe new life.

    Great poem, Jae Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The struggle to retain an identity comes through strongly in your words. Impressive...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your ending was key to having hope. Beautifully done, Jae!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, this poem ends on a high note of hope! Yes, yes, and yes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome blog, i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing!
    Thank for your very good article...!

    ลาลีกา

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stark and chilling. Well done, Jae.

    ReplyDelete