The salty tears stick to our pillow
The heating clicks on
We are cold even though the summer heat swaddles our limbsIt has been long days since we left the small room
We inhale the powder like magic starts
Nothing can stop us
The rain falls down on the cracked earth
We can taste it on our lips
We ache for relief
Something to stop the pain
It never comesPerhaps we can sail in our umbrella
Just like we did before
Or take a ship to the moon
I love her fanciful thoughts
They keep me afloat
Like a life raft in the night.
I love them, too, and hope they have a kernel of truth as most children's stories do. Sometimes only poetry keeps me afloat. A truly fine poem!
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Susan
DeleteThe last 3 lines are heartbreaking.. the fanciful thoughts becoming a life raft in the flood...great writing.
ReplyDeleteThanks thotpurge
Deleteflood of fanciful thoughts to great poetry; Have a nice day Jae
ReplyDeletemuch love...
And you too thanks Gillena
Delete"Fanciful thoughts a raft in the night" ... wonderful word picture!
ReplyDeleteThank you Bev
DeleteThe magic and the relief are fleeting, for true succor lies elsewhere, Traveler. I love the idea of sailing on an umbrella, which lifts the heart.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Sherry
DeleteOh, this touches my heart. Life is drought and rain. We so need our umbrellas to sail away at times.
ReplyDeleteYes we do - thank you Susie
DeleteSigh....beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThanks Ayala
Deletewow amazing how the fanciful thoughts keep her afloat like a life raft. So beautiful and clever. I love the image of sailing in an umbrella as well.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Marja
DeleteAh, we all need such a life raft at times, I think.
ReplyDeleteI think so too - thanks Mary
DeleteThough it is filled with sadness, it also has such a magical feel to it. You are a magician with words Jae Rose!
ReplyDeleteThanks Carrie - much appreciated
DeleteThey turn to imagination... Nice use of a reality shift.
ReplyDeleteThanks Martin
DeleteThose images that keep you afloat...I hope they become real. We all need those umbrellas in which to sail. I know I do.
ReplyDeleteThank you Toni - sending you a bright, colourful umbrella!
DeleteDespite the tears at the start the hopefulness at the end showed that in every situation there is a happy way out. I expect a lot of your readers would like an Alice too, being with them to see them through the hard times. I have been reading your work for nine years now Jae and it is wonderful how much feeling you are able to convey in your writing and conversation with Alice.
ReplyDeleteThanks for being there for so long Old Egg - we always appreciate your support and comments
Deletefanciful thoughts/life raft/night...My space too. Thank god for Alice, we all have her, don't we?
ReplyDeleteYes Alice belongs to everyone thank you Sumana
Delete'The rain falls down on the cracked earth. We can taste it on our lips. We ache for relief something to stop the pain'.. this is so poignant!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much Sanaa
DeleteBeautifully dreamy poem.
ReplyDeleteThanks Rob
DeleteI, too love the idea of sailing in that umbrella, although in really rough waters, it might be very dizzying. But, then again, those are the ups and downs of all that is life.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
Thank you Elizabeth
DeleteThat's Alice for you, it's so easy for her! I hope it gets easier for you, Jae. Keep working at it my friend with Alice's (and your friends, like me,) help. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteThank you so Bekkie
DeleteLoved the hope and the tender images that came to mind.... beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Sreeja
Deletehandsome.
ReplyDeleteSailing in an umbrella, brings a smile to my lips. Thank you Jae!
ReplyDelete