I open my purse
And the powder falls out
Mummy has a secret little clown
We trip skip over the brick dust
Everybody has a secret she says
As if she knows
She knows
He knows
We all fall down
When the fun stops
Stop
But we can never stop
Mummy said
My breath lifts the sheets
Rise and fall like waves
I could watch for hours
Content in the flow of myself
Fluid pushes fluid
Just so you know
And you know they make you drowsy
Smile
Yes
Just give me the fucking pills
Pink liquor soup and black out blinds
Everything evolves given time
We trip skip on the brick dust
We like the open window on the top floor
We could have caught the bus
Or rode the train
Instead we turn circles on our powder runs
The glass falls to the ground
We would have picked it up
Kept it in our pocket
Now we lick up what was spilled
Everything evolves given time
Up or down
You really should choose
The man wears a pink ladybug watch
Buys some cheese
Are we sober
I ask as we stand in the queue
Of course silly
Sober as Hatter
Clever as the Cheshire Cat
She crunches the sugar
Spits in the mint
I pour our julep
Captive to the bed
In the afternoon sun
I raise a glass
To us dear Alice
To us.
A fascinating look at it.
ReplyDeleteThank you GL
DeleteThe prompt for today was very Alice like. So I am not surprised at your poem which takes us down another rabbbit hole. Well done Jae. I think you'll like my encounter with a doe.
ReplyDeletehttp://moondustwriter.com/2015/02/18/through-the-glass-photography-haiku-poetry/
Thank you very much Moonie....she felt happy to be officially invited ;) we will hop over to your doe shortly...thank you
DeleteYes, you guessed it! As I read your poems the desire for a glass motif grew and grew. It's solid and magic, strong and weak and more present than plastic. In the first few stanzas of your poem today, I got the image of being on a carousel that goes faster and faster--a drugged out carnival. But then the image shifts to a bedrooom and the crushed dust to a glass to the mirrorland of Alice. "Everything evolves given time." I trust that.
ReplyDeleteThe fall from fantasy to reality can hit hard..like breaking glass...I suppose the trick is a balance of the two...thank you Susan
Deletenice little journey you took us on... loved the visuals in these lines:
ReplyDeleteMy breath lifts the sheets
Rise and fall like waves
I could watch for hours
Content in the flow of myself
Thank you kindly Wolfsrose
DeleteThey say we are only as sick as our secrets, but I'm not so sure I believe that. We all have secrets, as you say. The important question is whether they are secrets we keep from ourselves.
ReplyDeleteYes...I think I am understanding that as each day passes...thank you kindly Ann
Delete"Content in the flow of myself"....the line expresses the boldness & strength of acceptance and also the grit that vulnerable humans are made of...
ReplyDeleteThank you Sumana - what an affirming comment
DeleteThis certainly opened the chest of delights, not sure what was at the bottom of the glass, but a fascinating journey.
ReplyDeleteI'd shut the lid and wash the glass! Thank you kindly Alan
DeleteA beautiful depiction... I like it!
ReplyDeleteThank you daydreamer!
Delete'I raise a glass
ReplyDeleteTo us dear Alice
To us.'
wonderfully put
Raising a glass of happiness to you both and passing you yours.
A hearty cheer back to you Sheilagh thank you
DeleteLove the evolution here from 'We all fall down' to 'Sober as Hatter
ReplyDeleteClever as the Cheshire Cat' , and stanza about watching the flow of self - just my favorite. Ability to stay in present, to observe - brilliant, vital!
Thank you humbird...the simplest things can be the most distracting and absorbing...even breathing!
DeleteI wonder if Alice fancies popping down to the pub! I just loved this, but then I always do enjoy your work so there was surprise there!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your unfailing tolerance of us Keith...I think to a trip to the pub with Rosey would do both myself and Alice the world of good..we would drink nothing but lemonade of course (a-hem;)
DeleteAnd we raise a glass to your poetry ... lovely as always :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you so Amrit..cheers back to you!
DeleteI second Amrit! The repetitions work really well in this one, I love the image of the afternoon sun falling on the bed, and I LOVE the ending!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you kindly Sherry...wouldn't it be even more magical having a picnic and a toast in the woods...that would be a new scene and more refreshing than any concoction dreamt up here ;)
DeleteSounds like you're getting deeper and deeper.
ReplyDeleteYes thank you for spotting (other) Alice...it's becoming normal...maybe that's when you know the bottom of the hole may never come..or come when it's too late to clamber back up...hopefully i will pull my socks up...or if not mine Alice's..
DeleteLooking sideways I see rabbit looking at his watch but while everybody claps their hands he doesn't look up. For all the fun there are still those pills. Your writing speaks volumes Jae but who is listening?
ReplyDeleteOh so perceptive..and you know I have a card of Rabbit looking at his watch that i bought to put on my wall..to remind me...as to who is listening - kind people...sadly not people with the authority to lend a hand or funding to help me out this miserable hole...thank you Old Egg..we will keep going..day by day
DeleteI love reading your poems, Jae Rose. Your writing is brilliant and so imaginative!!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Torie
DeleteAh, there always comes a point in life when one has to choose 'up' or 'down.' And sometimes it doesn't make a difference, as one way or another one always ends up in the same space!
ReplyDeleteI think you're absolutely right Mary...it's more riddle than truth...another wise person said no matter what we do we end up where we were always going to end up...although i hope there is always room for improvements..thank you xo
DeleteEverything evolves given time. So we need patience I suppose. Love how Alice is with you all the time. Sometimes I sense she's quite naughty, but your friend always. She'll definitely lift a glass with you. I so much enjoy your writing.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Myrna..i think she is naughty..playful..a little bit rebellious..all the things you'd like to be in 'real' life but are a bit too old now to get away with!
DeleteIt's amazing how wave of sheet becomes ocean-sized...I've witnessed this before. Wonderful trippy poem, Jae.
ReplyDeleteThank you Hannah...trippy can be good (in moderation - which we are working towards :~ )
DeleteHow could a poet not partner with Alice? She's the perfect, courageous vehicle, isn't she? She's going places! Would you do something for me? No one on this list has responded to my poems sent to Sunday Whirl. I want to know if it is even possible to respond the way my Wordpress is set up. So, just send me an ok , relative to my entry, OK?
ReplyDeleteFor some reason, I don't think the link is working. jacquelinecaseypoetry.com
Thank you Jacqueline...she certainly doesn't lack courage which can sometimes work out well! Of course I will try visiting you...if it doesn't work check beck here and I I will let you know!
Delete