Saturday, 16 March 2013

Perish


I do not want the words to die
I whisper
To
Alice
As we turn on the tiny
Bed
That
Is
Not
Ours
I feel her heart
Faintly
In
My
Hands
So
Precious
She
Is
I know the patterns of the
Puddles
In
The
Dark
I know that rain dries
Mud brushes off
Yet
Still
It
Is
All
So
Very
Wrong

Alice’s hair will grow long and smooth
We will turn to salt and pepper
But we will not change
Never change
What we are
What I am
Is
Always
Inside
Safe
Songs remembered
Stories treasured
Faces stroked

I cannot cry
Any more
For what will be lost
Is already gone

The sentence waits for us
Out there
We shiver and perish inside

I do not want the words to die
I whisper
To
Alice
As
We turn on the tiny
Bed
That
Is
Not
Ours.

52 comments:

  1. You must remember Pandora who opened the jar and all the gifts of life flew out...out of reach except for hope. You always have hope and Alice by your side; you are like a mighty army and will not be beaten. You writing is becoming very powerful Jae, you are very strong inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you OldEgg..strange that it should feel powerful..maybe it's because i am powerless as regards anything else at the moment..

      Delete
  2. My first time visiting you and I'm awestruck by your wonderful wordle, including the formatting of it. I hope one day your story has a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl for visiting..it would be nice if there was a better ending..in not a happy one..

      Delete
  3. no matter where the location is, you can whisper to your loved ones hopeful things. such an intimate moment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Totomai..that's a comforting thought..

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, sad... I'm left with deep longing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Jae! I know that you won't let the words die, they flame within you and they cannot steal them or drive them away. You will hold them safe, despite your fears, and someday you will be free to fling them about in all directions on the wind! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you it would be nice to fling myself in the wind as well as the words..that might be fun..(in a responsible manner of course) ;)

      Delete
  6. Oh! I was tempted to read this again - through eyes blurred with tears and decided not to! I did not want to decipher the 'words' but keep the feeling - that powerful feeling that hit me in the gut and stayed like a smile. Thank you! :) A beautiful poem....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pearl..i am glad it rested as a smile..not a tear..thank you..

      Delete
  7. The words don't ever have to die, not even when all else is lost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your tales of Alice !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Green Speck..she likes them too..

      Delete
  9. You must not let the words die, as I'm sure you won't. Your words are you - excellent and meaningful - and all the while they flow, you are claiming your unique place in the cosmos. It is good to see that you are optimistic about Alice's hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Altonian..yes..it all starts with combing out the knots..thank you for finding me a place in the cosmos..is it the second star to the right.

      Delete
  10. Intimations of mortality - from the way you started the poem, I expected childhood memories, but the powerful way the poem developed was literally stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Inspirational piece... life, hope... possibilities...

    ReplyDelete
  12. No Jaerose! It is the very bright one - in the centre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) (was channelling Douglas Adams again)

      Delete
  13. Amazing. "what will be lost / is already gone" and this "bed / that / is / not / ours"
    A bitter-sweet story, so so bitter...

    Mariya: http://phoenix-em.com/mariyakoleva/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes took perfectly - and thank you very much

      Delete
  14. I do not want ANY word to die. It's the writer in me, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely..maybe even thinking them keeps them alive..thank you Magical..

      Delete
  15. This reaches into my guts and squeezes. I recognize too much of it. Beautiful, powerful and haunting. Thoughts are with you. What a wonderful write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol..and for following along..

      Delete
  16. Definitely who we are is inside us. This will not change no matter what happens. I know you know that, and treasure, that 'you' that only YOU know.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You wield literary power with the refrain repeated beginning and end. This made me consider... when the soul first enters this realm, it is direct from divinity: pure, true, perfect. That essence is ever-safe, perpetually growing and learning, warm and bright with love, despite the experiences of the physical. Like your commanding poem, much happens during the course of things, but the perfection, the light, the purity is always there in the end. It never left. It simply learned and grew. Like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim..i guess when thrown into a physical darkness..confinement..rules..that in a way overrules the darkness in the head..so you have to search for that essence..switch on some kind of light..although i am sure like any element our inside light can falter..

      Delete
  18. I give you my word Jae, as a writer of way too many years, the words don't ever die. Yes, they sometimes get shy, even a bit reluctant, but they don't die unless we let them. Close them up in a dark place where there is no air for them to breathe. Words are way too much like weeds, springing up all over the place, many times precisely where we don't want them. They thrive because we, you and I, love them. I promise,

    Elizabeth
    http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/instruments-of-survival-ii/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - loving words is truly special..sharing them even more so..i hope somehow that continues wherever we may be..you can't lock words up..even in boxes they dance and hammer..let me out..let me out..

      Delete
  19. This is a beautiful piece of sorrow and longing. Tiny Alice always there for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes..she is a special girl..thank you Annell..

      Delete
  20. This is a strong one. I feel it's very sad and intimate. I like the repetition at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I shiver and want to clutch myself for comfort, but it is you, Jaerose, who needs the comforting. Out of pain comes such creativity,,,it's amazing,,the hope and wish is that you and Alice get to have your salt and pepper hair and all that comes with those signs of age or experiences lived,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we certainly have age..and experience..some brighter moments would be nice to add to our collection though!..thank you Ellecee..

      Delete
  22. Jae Rose, the way the words flow down the page add to the intensity of the read. Nicely done wordle.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  23. wrenching and beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  24. Powerful and haunting.
    (You opened with a similar word combination that came to me for my ending. Cool. Heartfelt.)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jae
    I always feel as if you are "writing...calling out for the poor, the homeless...those that do not have and are left behind"...your words are powerful...they scream to me and I hope to others...do not forget us...do not bury us in the trash behind the dumpster...
    we are here...help us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you OldGrizz..too many people behind dumpsters - literal or metaphorical..quite what it takes to have a voice in this world (well..money and misplaced self righteousness for a start).i don't know..glad to be emitting a small squeak..

      Delete
  26. I cannot cry
    Any more
    For what will be lost
    Is already gone


    These words are so true. Beautiful, Jae. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete