Wednesday, 13 September 2023

Storm, Ink, Love

The blue butterfly
Rests upon my ankle
It kisses my flesh 
Tiny lines of ink
That make me feel loved
I wish all my skin
Was ink
Not scars 
When I look in the mirror 
I do not recognise myself
It is like a storm 
Passing through
Relentless 
Unforgiving 
She touches my cheek
As if to say
Everything is ok 
Her skin is like porcelain 
Pure and soft 
I look at the baby pictures
Wonder how I became 
Can you see self destruction
In a baby's eyes 
Your eyes were full
Of hope
She whispers 
Just like yours
I reply
We will spend another day
Together 
Ride out the storm
Marvel at the ink
Know that we love each other
And all will be well. 

13 comments:

  1. I love this poem so much -- especially the title. How beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem describes interior weather very well. So sad, the hope in the baby's eyes, and the pain that followed. I love the ending, weathering the storm - all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the image of the blue butterfly. It seems to be the poem itself. All ink yet has bright spots like 'love' and 'all will be well'. There's so much power too in 'Ride out the storm'. A beautiful poem Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jae,
    So often our moods and situation, is motivated by the weather at that time...I regard the blue butterfly as a good symbol to bring cheer and a sign of hope, much as required while getting through a rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of spending another day together, riding out the storm, and knowing all will be well. You have penned this poem thoughtfully, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful I love butterflies The symbol of change and a symbol for the soul. Love the end of your poem ' to ride out the storm yes all might be well as love heals wounds

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has me pondering. How does a baby evolve into what it later becomes. How does one see potential and beauty in the mirror at all stages of life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see a blue butterfly, if such a thing exists. Riding out the storm

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful response to Magaly's prompt! I love the tenderness and the touch of optimism; also the insight into Alice's origin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you see self destruction
    In a baby's eyes

    Wow! a gentle, haunting poem that leaves one hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last two lines convey a message that everyone needs to hear, and I couldn't agree more. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coming to terms with the many life experiences ...Nice peak into ourselves

    ReplyDelete