Sunday, 3 September 2023

What's Going On

What's going on
She asks
I don't know Little Cricket
But I feel a bit peculiar 
These hills are making me breathless 
I am not sure I can 
Climb them any more 
I am like a steam train
Running out of coal
She skips and twirls
In front of me
Of course you can climb
She says with glee
Just take my hand
And follow me
How can I give up
With her light shining 
Right in front of me
I reach out
Take her porcelain fingers
In mine
Feel the electric charge
The power of being young 
Strong blonde hair
And sparkling blue eyes
We pick up speed 
The top of the hill almost in sight
My legs ache
My chest burns 
And yet I feel happy 
With her every day 
Is an adventure
An achievement 
I feel my breath
Want to sing and dance
Welcome the end of one day
Look forward to waking up 
To the next
It is a revolution
She giggles
As we lie down on top of the hill. 

6 comments:

  1. "How can I give up
    With her light shining
    Right in front of me"....The beacon to move forward. So lovely to read your lines Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And yet I feel happy
    With her every day
    Is an adventure " Yes, every day is a new day! So good to connect with you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love"how can I give up with her light shining in front of me?" And I love the "revolution" at the end. Made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another lovely poem, Jae. Now I want to watch as you roll, over and over and over, down that hill. Wheeeeeee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "These hills are making me breathless
    I am not sure I can
    Climb them any more
    I am like a steam train
    Running out of coal.."

    Such a deeply poignant poem this is, Jae! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jae,
    It's always good to be near to a voice of encouragement, at the very moment when it's most appreciated...

    ReplyDelete