Tuesday, 2 March 2021

Work

I am looking for a mind
At work
She whispers
We have spent too many hours 
Smiling 
Not talking
There really is very little to say
Same old years
Same old days
A well-trodden fairy tale
History has an eye 
On us 
We are not sure if it is a kind eye
So many games
So many twists and turns
And yet we are rooted to the spot
Invalided 
Unused 
Like a spare part in a busy garage 
We once had a use
Now we are gathering dust
Dreaming
Dodging life
Wasting it 
Even
She says
Our mind does not fit in
However hard we try
It has always been different
Seeing every tiny detail
Remembering things
We do not need to
If we lost some memories 
We could build a better future 
We both sigh at the thought of that
The work involved
Like forging a river
With a spoon
And so we rest
Borrow words
Turn them into something new
That is our work
Who we are
And who will forever be. 

11 comments:

  1. I do hope you keep writing words forever.....otherwise, life is constantly changing. I know the feeling of forging a river with a spoon...........sometimes we can stop spooning and let the river take us and show us its delights. Smiles. It is always good to read you, Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writers are lucky as they can react to historical events with words of their own. Your poem certainly included a few truisms Jae.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always amazed by the vividness of your imagery – startlingly original at the same time as feeling perfectly apt.

    Including myself and others in your culmination, I like to think that turning words into something new will always be our work, as poets, and indeed who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Like a spare part in a busy garage "
    A very interesting image

    Happy Wednesday

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of nice moments in this one: "If we lost some memories
    We could build a better future"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "A spare oart in a busy garage" ... what a wonderfully descriptive phrase! U akwats ebhit tiyr wird naguc!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is so bitter sweet. I love history's eye not being kind. You brought out the idea of changing being too much work sometimes. But, borrowing words and making something new from them is a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An exceptional and creative poem ... using the lines the way you chose to ~ brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "If we lost some memories
    We could build a better future
    We both sigh at the thought of that"...

    to pinpoint a favorite line is just impossible with you poetry - your creative mind always astounds me. But I did like the idea of what I reposted above.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love where the quote took you and Alice, Jae! Life has definitely become a ‘well-trodden fairy tale’ so much so that children can’t wait to get back to school! I love the simile in the lines:
    ‘Like a spare part in a busy garage
    We once had a use
    Now we are gathering dust’
    and the wisdom in
    ‘If we lost some memories
    We could build a better future.’

    ReplyDelete
  11. This part speaks to my soul:
    "Our mind does not fit in
    However hard we try
    It has always been different
    Seeing every tiny detail
    Remembering things
    We do not need to
    If we lost some memories
    We could build a better future"

    I like the idea of our words being our work. A very relatable piece.

    ReplyDelete