Will there always be trouble
She asks quietly
As we lie side by side in the dark
I breathe in
Yes little Cricket
There will always be trouble
Not between us
But between us and the world
We don't quite fit
Do we
She says
My silence is the reply
We have become a Wonderland family
Small
Full of flaws
But alive
Nipping at the heels of adventures
We could be mothers
Or sisters
Or just two souls who
Found each other
When we needed someone
I like that thought
She trills
I ran away from my family
Followed Rabbit
Got lost and then found
There were lots of puzzles
Maybe that is a better word
Puzzles not trouble
What we do is not wrong
It is just our way
The night clicks on
Soon enough sleep will come
I thank the world for sending her to me.
I am thankful you have her, too, Jae. This is a lovely poem. I like "puzzles not trouble. It is just our way." We each find the life that works for us. I love the poems you are writing this year so much.
ReplyDeleteIndeed, what a great companion! I love 'The night clicks on', wonderful image.
ReplyDeleteSo many of us have troubled relationships with the world, Jae, especially those who don’t fit in with the generally accepted construct of it, and you’ve expressed that beautifully in this poem. No wonder we escape to Wonderland. I agree that ‘puzzles’ is a better word than ‘trouble’.
ReplyDeleteGoosh, this is my fondest of yours so far
ReplyDeleteMine is HERE
(✿◠‿◠)
much love...
How valuable Alice has been to you as a friend and how creative your writing has been over the years Jae.
ReplyDeleteLove the flow of this one, Jae, alternating between contemplative and conversational. well done.
ReplyDeleteFor some reason, people who are in love always seem to be a little out of step with the rest of the world.
ReplyDeleteYou and your Alice bring such gentle, wonderful musings to all of us!
ReplyDeleteI, too, prefer puzzles to trouble. I like that their relationship is not the trouble but other's perceptions of it. Or perhaps that the world is troubled but the one they live in is not.
ReplyDeleteI really like this. What a special friendship. :)
ReplyDeleteA beautiful poem. It makes me think of my son and me.
ReplyDelete"We don't quite fit
Do we"
We're happier living in a literal ghost town (population 154) in the middle of nowhere than we ever were in the city. And even here, we don't quite fit.
As always, your poems are perfection.
ReplyDelete