Tuesday, 16 March 2021

Friends

I remember the kittens
She says
We are lying on the floor
Looking up at the patterns
Reflected on the ceiling 
From outside the window
They were my old friends
She says
Quite happily
I expect they are nothing but 
A memory and dust 
No 
I say
They are still alive 
Jumping through the mirror
Time and time again
Alive as long as the pages keep turning
We laugh at that thought 
You are my new friend
She giggles
An old new friend
Am I better than your cats
I ask
Of course silly
Although I miss their fur
Their wet noses
And tiny paws
The light fades
The patterns draw to a close 
We shiver slightly
In the falling light
I think of the mirror
How brave she was to follow through 
Braver than me
I will always be stuck in this world
But at least I have a friend.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I can see the kitties with their tiny paws.........and love Alice's "of course, silly". So glad she comes and goes through the mirror to be with you.....and to share her sweetness with all of us. Friends make everything better. I am glad you are one of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a friend is essential! Of course, kitty friends are nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way they look back at their relationship and see it as new, Jae. And that the kittens are alive, ‘Jumping through the mirror / Time and time again / Alive as long as the pages keep turning’. That’s how I start new relationships with characters in books, so as not to be stuck in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I luv the refreshing which make the friend new again and again

    Happy Wednesday Jae

    Much💚love

    ReplyDelete
  5. How important it is to have that link with Alice. It is like a fantasy land where you feel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "They are still alive
    Jumping through the mirror
    Time and time again
    Alive as long as the pages keep turning"

    Love this, Jae!

    ReplyDelete