Friday, 31 July 2020

Heart

She comforts my heart
With her smile
Her eyes glow
Like fireflies
You can see them shine
From a mile away
It is hot
We are both sleepy
Sore from lying still
We crave the rain
A spell of wetness to ease our pains
The sun was unforeseen
You will get used to it
She whispers
It is a pity I cannot advise myself
Quell all the torment
And the worries
I curl up small
Just like her
As if I copy her
I will become her
But would I really want that
To never be allowed to grow
There is more than one way to grow
She interrupts
Age is not growth
Not necessarily wisdom either
So we wait for the sun to fall
For our self to unfurl
Underneath the starry cool sky.

12 comments:

  1. This is wonderful........."There is more than one way to grow." I love that self unfurling under the starry sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love “age is not growth.” How wise Alice can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that still small voice within

    "You will get used to it
    She whispers
    It is a pity I cannot advise myself"

    Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday today
    much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again your beautiful writing on conversation of you and Alice is such a treat as she shows you how good life can be as we unfurl into whowe really are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We here in the Desert Southwest certainly could us "a spell of wetness to ease our pains." Since that's not even a remote possibility until December, I guess we'll have to look for another pain easer. Perhaps a starry, cool sky will do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jae, it's been long since I read you. Love the wisdom in your poem, especially the line "Age is not growth." Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautifully rendered, Jae! I resonate with; "There is more than one way to grow."💝

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Age is not growth nor necessarily wisdom"....well said"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, she's a wise one! As always, this is beautifully told.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this very much.

    “As if I copy her
    I will become her”

    Boy do I remember that approach from my “I’m inadequate” youth and childhood.

    “There is more than one way to grow”

    That seems wise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. True words...Age is not growth
    Not necessarily wisdom either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always enjoy Alice’s gentle wisdom, Jae, it shines through this poem. I love the half-rhymes ‘fall/unfurl’ in the final lines.

    ReplyDelete