Wednesday, 22 July 2020

Sugar

Alice chews a shooting star
Whilst sitting on the moon
I watch her fizz and glow
Sparkle and twirl
All the best things in the world are sweet
She squeals
I run my tongue over my blackened teeth
Fearful they may fall out
Just as we dreamed
She says
There are sugar mice in the cupboard
Jellybeans in the drawer
Strawberries slowly ripening
In a crystal clear bowl
When the fizzing stops
She jumps down
Falls next to me on the bed
Her hair sticky
Where she wiped her fingers
Tomorrow we will brush the sugar out
For now we will enjoy the buzz
The feeling of being full
Drowsy
Sleepy
Glowing.

10 comments:

  1. This is gorgeously rendered, Jae!💝 I resonate with; "All the best things in the world are sweet." You have me craving for some strawberries 😃

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I’ll spend the rest of the day with the image of Alice chewing a shooting star in my head, Jae!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all sounds wonderful ... er, except for those teeth. What a pity that sweetness isn't always good for us. But yes, for now let's enjoy the buzz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the image you open with, Alice chewing a shooting star while sitting on the moon. How cool. Wonderful, the satiated feeling having swallowed sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good golly, does this make me want to be part of a sugar party.

    It also makes me think of how much you can appreciate little when food is in limited supply.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the best things in the world are sweet indeed, and this poem is one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy the way you play with words .....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whad a day in Wonderland
    Nice one Jae

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lucky you are Jae to be able to have this friend so your life is interesting and funny to put away the many negatives all around us

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Alice: The best eats are sweet!

    ReplyDelete