The lovely birds
Sweep in on a summer breeze
We do not know where they are going
Or why
It feels as if our mind is unfurling like a rope
We will vanish tonight
Our lips dry and unloved
She sings quietly under her breath
It forms a mist
A token across the miles
We cringe and gawk
Look up to the skies
Across the way a tap drips
It is steady
Like a heart beat
There is a sign on our door
It is formed of letters and numbers
Do not let the wolf pass the threshold
He will chop you up like liver
We look at our arms
They have changed form
We would like to wrap them in ticker tape
Celebrate our survival
Perhaps when summer is fully come
We will expose them
It cannot be any worse than hiding
The birds coo and sing
We fall into a slumber
Windows open
Cool air fanning our body
Soothing our mind.
I love the gentle birds, the soft song.....the wolf at the door is ominous. Dont let him in! I love the birds swooping in on a summer breeze. I, too, celebrate your survival, Jae. I love reading your poems.
ReplyDeleteYour lovely birds on a summer breeze have come at just the right time for me, Jae, as it is raining here, and I haven’t seen one bird yet today. I love the simile ‘It feels as if our mind is unfurling like a rope’ – I know that feeling. I like the idea of celebrating survival with ticker tape and exposing arms in the summer.
ReplyDeleteHooray for the birds, and the cool air!
ReplyDeleteThat hint of fresh air goes a long way, especially when we need time, especially there are decisions to be made...
ReplyDeleteThis reads like a dream sequence, ending with that delightful last stanza.
ReplyDeleteThis is so beautiful and filled with melancholia .. especially like; "Look up to the skies/Across the way a tap drips/It is steady/Like a heart beat."💝
ReplyDeleteGreat lines.
ReplyDelete"It feels as if our mind is unfurling like a rope
We will vanish tonight
Our lips dry and unloved..."
my favorite.
Yes, it is always good to be honest and say "I survived the bad times" and be proud of it. Lifes experiences often hurts but to hold ones head up after a storm is always a good feeling.
ReplyDeleteOh the sweet singing birds anyday. For the wolf i would offer a passover sign on the door
ReplyDeleteBlessed Sunday Jae
Much💝love
Love the refreshing feeling of the cool air fanning the body, love the birds and especially love the line "It feels as if our mind is unfurling like a rope"
ReplyDeleteKeep the wolf out and enjoy the cool air.
ReplyDeleteI get a strong sense of healing in this one. The lovely birds and the cool air can begin to unravel our minds. Lovely writing Jae.
ReplyDelete