Tuesday, 4 February 2020

Ashes

The flowers in our mouth turn to ashes
Sweet poppies
And dried chrysanthemums
Perhaps if we swallow them
They will bloom
A sweet salve in our gullet
Our throat is dry
We drink water in the afternoon
Make the garden grow
Feel the petals and stems
Absorb the colours
And the prickles
It is a dangerous dance
One we have played many times before
One we wish we did not have to dance again
The Red Queen touches my shoulder
I tell her a bit of my story
She already knows it
She has felt it too
Her face is white as linen
Her lips red
And her eyes are bright blue
We are thankful it is not raining
Although rain would make the flowers grow
Alice giggles
We will savour the flowers
Become intoxicated
Sleep away the drowsy
Ash turns to flowers
Flowers turn to juice
We are full up
Ready to flower and bloom.

10 comments:

  1. I can SEE that Red Queen, you have described her so vividly. I like the whimsy in the idea of swallowing the flowers so they can bloom within. Your poems are your flowers, Jae, and they bloom so beautifully for us every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From ashes in the mouth to the bringing forth of blossoms---what a journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't it be wondeful if really we could consume joy and nourish our selves like it were on the menu an in our diet
    Happy Wednesday Jae

    (✿◠‿◠)

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautifully worded, Jae!💝 Especially like; "And dried chrysanthemums/Perhaps if we swallow them/They will bloom/A sweet salve in our gullet." Thank you so much for writing to the prompt!💝

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your story so full of imagination and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn’t move on from the opening lines, Jae, they are stunning! And now I have, the rest of the poem is a delight. I love the idea of absorbing a garden by drinking water and the lines:
    ‘We will savour the flowers
    Become intoxicated
    Sleep away the drowsy’.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who knows Jae what you will experience with both the Red Queen and Alice there to make your day. What a great picture you words always make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taste of ashes to fruit of flowers. Great writing, Jae.

    ReplyDelete