The apple doesn't fall far from the tree
She says
And when it falls
I will be waiting with a paring knife
Ready to cook up a crumble
For Hatter and his tea
It is as if order is restored
With the falling
And the eating
She is happy
She has a purpose
I am lost
Swimming in unknown waters
I admire her tenacity
Her will to make each day stronger
I wish for a little of her luck
You have it already
Silly
She replies
I cannot argue
She is right
Of course
Perhaps it should be said
That what does not kill you makes you stronger.
Beautiful
ReplyDeleteI love your beginning, and being ready with a paring knife to make crumble for Hatter's tea! When life gives you apples......I love Alice's "You have it already." She has clear eyes, does Alice.
ReplyDeleteHa ha. All excellent, and I particularly like the final, triumphant cliché.
ReplyDeleteI love everything in your charming poem ....
ReplyDeleteAfter that apple falls from the tree, it's destined for good things here. I love your train of thought!
ReplyDeleteYou had me at "I am lost/Swimming in unknown waters/I admire her tenacity/Her will to make each day stronger." This is incredibly potent!💝
ReplyDeleteI agree with Sherry and Rosemary. :)
ReplyDeleteGoodness I love this..love the "twist" on when life gives you..apples
ReplyDeleteOf course, why waste it - the fallen apple
ReplyDeleteHappy Wednesday
Much💝love
Determination will show us how strong we can be and being able to trust in someone like Alice for advice is good too!
ReplyDeleteThat last cliche makes me grrrrr ! Character building is ovewrrated.
ReplyDeleteI want to be weak, untested, filthy rich and obscenely comfortably so I can indulge myself in writing navel gazing poetry about how I have been traumatised because my father would not buy me a porsche boxter for my seventeenth birthday.
Loved your poem.
Love the idea of order being restored with the "falling"...
ReplyDeleteWonderful, Jae! I love that Alice
ReplyDelete‘…will be waiting with a paring knife
Ready to cook up a crumble
For Hatter and his tea’
and
‘Perhaps it should be said
That what does not kill you makes you stronger’
Made me smile.
Alice dares to do what few of us do: exercise tenacity.
ReplyDelete